Your smile (or lack thereof) is often the first thing people notice about you. Does yours light up the room, or have something lacking? What can you do to brighten your smile and make a great first impression? Try these six tricks and tips for a happier and healthier smile.
1. Keep regular dental appointments. Find a dentist that you know and trust. A twice-yearly cleaning by your dentist and dental hygienist is the most important thing you can do to keep your smile both happy and healthy. Preventative care helps you stay ahead of any dental issues that may develop over time and helps you identify problem areas before they get out of hand.
2. Brush, and don't forget to floss. You brush your teeth twice every day, but do you take the time to floss? You should. Daily flossing not only keeps your smile looking bright, but it helps keep your teeth and gums healthy and prevent gum disease.
3. Watch what you eat and drink. The food and beverages that you consume play a big role in how healthy your smile will be in the short and the long-term. Sugary drinks, as well as large portions of tea and coffee on a regular basis, can stain your teeth and may cause cavities. Try to drink more water. Use straws when consuming soda. Your general diet matters, too. What you eat impacts your overall health, which can be reflected in your smile.
4. Whiten your smile. A great way to show off your happy and healthy smile is by whitening your teeth. In lieu of an expensive visit (or several expensive visits) to your dentist to have your teeth whitened, consider an at-home whitening kit such as Luster Pro Light. Unlike many at-home whitening kits, Luster Pro Light uses light technology similar to your dentist's office, and can be done on your own schedule.
5. Gloss up. Glossing up your lips with lip stick or lip gloss can definitely help brighten up your smile. Your teeth will appear whiter in contrast to a bright color on your lips. Consider a peppermint or spearmint-scented lip gloss to keep your breath smelling fresh, too!
6. Stay prepared. Keep your smile (and your friends and co-workers) happy by carrying a few essentials with you at all times. An extra toothbrush, a small container of toothpaste, dental floss, and even a travel container of mouthwash in your purse or desk can keep your smile perfect when an unexpected meeting -- or date night -- pops up.Content by Kelly Herdrich.