American Idol is over, but Kara DioGuardi is still dishing out judgements: she's in town to crown the winner of Folger's Jingle Contest. We caught up with the judge to bring you six things you didn't know about Kara.
1. She likes coffee as much as we do! Coffee is my escape in the morning. It's like, "Oh, God, here we go again." But at least I can just drink my coffee, and I know in five minutes I'm going to start feeling alive. I always think of coffee as a few minutes of downtime, a morning pick-me-up and a little break from the day--three to ten minutes of not having to worry about the world.
2. It's tough for her to fit the gym in when things get busy. Now that American Idol is done, I'm gonna head back to the gym. I definitely took a bit of a vacation from that for the last few weeks! I try to go three times a week for an hour: twenty minutes of cardio, forty minutes of weights. Then I try to walk or doing something else physical on a fourth day. A lot of what I do is for my back--I have a really bad back. So I do a lot of stomach exercises to strengthen my core, and weights help a lot--you really want to use your legs and arms more when your bending or picking things up, you don't want to use your back. And stretching is really important.
Related: 20 Superfoods for Weight Loss
3. You won't find her in a pilates or yoga class! Every class I go to, I can never follow the steps! I'm not a quick study. And when I go to those classes, there are a lot of people there who already know what's going on. I always feel so awkward until I figure it out.
4. She's not using the word "amazing" anymore. I never really thought about it, but I say amazing a lot. It's usually because the beginning of your commentary [when judging on AI] is the hardest part to come up with on the spot, and by the end you're just sort of like, "It was amazing!"
5. Now that she has more free time, she's going to order her husband to... get back in the kitchen, so he doesn't have to complain that I don't come home at the time I said and the food is cold. Actually, he's going to teach me how to cook a little bit. I can cook certain things, but I find cooking for two is a lot of work for two people--I find it hard to get the right amount of food cooked, I'm always cooking too little or too much. I really enjoy eating out, especially when I'm working. Idol ended, but I still have four jobs. "Let's go out and grab a bite."
Related: 30 Healthy Snacks
6. The only thing she loves as much as her morning coffee is...Mozza--the only place to get really good pizza in Los Angeles. The thin-crust Margarita...so good. That, and a nice glass of wine: it's like a mini-vacation. Like my coffee in the morning.
More from SELF:
- 6 smart moves for your body and brains
- Lose 8 pounds in one-month with the SELF Challenge!
8 Foods that Combat fat!
- Sex Pyramid: 6 ways to have more fun in bed!
- How to get pilates abs
Photo Credit: WWD