FitSugarSource: 7 Healthy Benefits of Having Sex
There are only so many hours in the day for getting physical. Skipping the gym for a little romp isn't something you should do every day, but when you do choose getting sweaty in bed over the exercise bike, you're still burning calories. With Valentine's Day just around the corner, check out the health benefits of getting it on.
- Strengthens Pelvic Floor Muscles: Who says you need to be wearing a sports bra to work your core? Exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor (an important part of your core) can be done sitting at your desk and even during sex. Whether you know it or not, you're performing Kegels while having sex, which increases pleasure. Bonus: a toned pelvic floor improves your bladder control.
- Relieves Stuffiness : Having an orgasm temporarily clears up sinuses. Sex for seasonal allergies? Sure beats Benadryl.
- Boosts Immunity: People who have sex once or twice a week have 30 percent higher levels of the antibody immunoglobulin A, which boosts your immune system and helps fight infections like colds and the flu. Getting down and dirty is just another way to help keep your lover healthy.
More from FitSugar: Name That Sex Position
- Improves Sleep : The hormone oxytocin increases when you have sex, and the heightened level helps you sleep better. Getting enough sleep is an important part of your overall health, so if you're having trouble sleeping, try a romp in the hay before hitting the hay.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease: Research has shown that men who have sex two or more times a week cut their risk of developing heart disease in half.
- Adds Years: Women who enjoy sex live longer than women who don't, and sex can make women feel two to eight years younger. Beats wrinkle cream in my book!
- Relieves Stress: Stress is bad for your health. Do yourself a favor and get busy to reduce your blood pressure. The feel-good endorphins released during sex will help you forget about your bad day too.
Smooch, Snuggle, and Squeeze: Health Benefits of Being Affectionate
Chelsea Handler Is Shameless About Sex
A History of Sex and Fashion
Follow FitSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of FitSugar on Facebook