By Laurel House
Do you ever just wake up in a foul mood that you can't seem to shake? Instead of sitting at home and sulking in your misery, suck it up, put a smile on your face and be social! It's good for you… literally!
I know… sounds insane. But sometimes something as simple as a smile from someone else can flip your frown upside down (as trite as it seems). I remember one morning I woke up the day after my boyfriend had broken up with me, and all I wanted to do was marinate in my misery. After a few hours I decided to pry my butt off the bed and go for a walk. Along the way I crossed the path of about 200 exhausted marathoners on their last mile. Sweat streamed from their pores and their faces articulated more agony than even I could imagine. Since I had no water, energizing foods or a finish line to take the pain away, I looked one particularly pathetic runner in the eye and smiled- hoping to at least tell her in my own way that she was doing an awesome job. Her expression instantly softened and she responded with the most genuinely thankful smile. And her smile somehow instantly lifted me out of my own funk.
Here Are 7 Reasons Why Smiling Is Actually Good For You:
1. Smiling Lifts Your Spirits! Even if you're not feeling it… smile. The simple act of smiling, especially when you smile at someone else and they reflect that smile back at you, can trick your body and mind into thinking that you are actually happy.
2. Smiling is a Stress Reliever! Physically, you are releasing your jaw muscles which tend to be tightened in times of stress. The jaw muscles attach to the neck muscles which, when tightened, can lead to headaches. You also LOOK less stressed since you minimize those frown lines on your forehead. I'll take smile lines any day!
3. Smiling Boosts the Immune System! When you smile, your body naturally relaxes. When you are relaxed, your immune system is able to function optimally, helping fight off colds and flu.
4. Smiling Lowers Blood Pressure! When you relax your mind and your face by smiling, you actually lower your blood pressure. Sit and enjoy the view, pet your pup, or do something that you enjoy… and smile for 5 minutes and you will notice a difference.
5. Smiling is a Natural Pain Killer! It's been shown that smiling helps the body to naturally release endorphins and serotonin which work together to help us feel better and minimize the sensation of pain.
6. Smiling Makes You Look Younger! Smiling helps soften the lines and wrinkles on the forehead while adding youth to your eyes. Forget about getting a facelift! Smile instead if you want to immediately shed years off your face.
7. Smiling Makes You Appear Confident & Successful! People who look confident and approachable are more likely to be promoted in business. So put on a smile at work, even in a stressful meeting, and see how differently others respond to you.Now share the love! Well… you really won't be able to help yourself. Smiling is contagious.
Like ExerciseTV on Facebook!