Known as 'The Happiest Man in the World,' celebrated Buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard reveals nine attitudes that keep us from living our best lives. Just avoid the impulses below, says the scholar and healer and you'll be on the path to a happier life.
1. Cultivating an exacerbated sense of self-importance.
2. Ruminating on the past.
3. Being anxious about the future.
4. Being unable to remain in the present moment.
5. Pinning all our hopes on the outer conditions of happiness - for example, wealth, power, physical appearance and fame.
6. Neglecting to cultivate the inner conditions of happiness: inner peace, inner freedom, altruistic love and compassion.
7. Seeking happiness only for ourselves, and not for others.
8. Being overly concerned with gain and loss, praise and criticism, fame and anonymity.
9. Distorting reality by allowing our prejudices to interfere our objectivity.
More on wOw:
10 Things You Think Will Make You Happy - But Won't
8 Secret Mood-Boosting, Weight-Loss Foods
8 Reasons Why Older Women Are Happier Than You Think
[Photo Credit: Shutterstock]
Today on Yahoo
1 - 6 of 48