A young woman with terminal bone cancer and only a few months left to live has checked off one of her life-long goals from her bucket list: Have a pretend bachelorette party.
More on Yahoo! Shine: Cat Photos Cheer Up Teen Cancer Patient
Steph Knight, 21, a former teaching assistant from Uplands, Braughing, had always dreamed of getting married one day but in 2009 when she was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a form of bone cancer, after doctors found a tennis ball sized tumor in the back of her pelvis, her dreams seemed dashed. In October 2010, her cancer went into remission and Knight returned to college to complete her child education courses and to her job at a nursery. But the cancer returned in April 2012 and doctors had to remove her right leg and part of her pelvis. Ultimately, she was told on New Year's Day that she only had a few months to live. So she decided to pen a bucket list of "normal" things she wanted to do in the final few months of her life—things like meet famous people, try on a wedding gown, and host a pretend bachelorette party.
More on Yahoo! Breast Cancer Genetic Testing Gets Covered by Health Care Reform
On February 25, Knight was thrown an X-rated bash with male strippers (they're called "The Dreamboys") while dressed in a bachelorette party T-shirt. Party gifts had been donated by Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York and 45 friends and family gathered at The Crown pub in Litlington, Cambridgeshire in Eastern England to celebrate.
Knight's mother Cindy, 58, called the party "absolutely fabulous," according to the UK press site, SWNS.com. "It was better than we ever could have imagined it could be," she said. "It went off really well and everyone was saying the next day that it was the best one they had ever been to."
And the The Dreamboys? They were "fabulous" too, says Cindy. "Two lovely guys looked after us all night long and served us cocktails and did a show. The girls had a whale of a time and we played lots of silly games. The box of goodies was really great and we had professional T-shirts with Stephanie’s face on the front and nicknames for everyone on the back. All the extras added to the whole atmosphere.”
Knight is currently undergoing Chemotherapy at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge. After the bachelorette party, she wrote on Facebook: “I would like to thank Deb and all her staff that put on a great night and for everyone that came to my no hen hen do i had a fantastic time and without crying i love you all so much and i don’t know what i’d do without you x x x.”
Knight, who's been tracking chronicling her journey on her blog, already checked off a handful of items from her to-do list. A few weeks ago Gary Barlow, vocalist for the British pop band "Take That" stopped by her home for a cup of tea and performed a song called "Back for Good" which he sung to Knight in her living room. Also accomplished: Visit an ice bar, have a night out at a bar, score a ticket to the Brit Awards, and meet Simon Cowell. On Saturday, Knight will travel to London to see the musical "Wicked" and will have tea with Ben Freeman, who plays the lead Fiyero. Next week, Knight and her mother are going to Lifehouse Spa Hotel in Essex and on March 18, the family is going on vacation to Chichester, West Sussex. Knight also hopes to meet royal couple Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Here's Knight's entire bucket list:
– To go on a holiday with all my family, where we can all be together and be alone, with dogs – achieved
– Go to the seaside, 2p machines with friends and family especially nieces and nephews
– Fly an aeroplane – achieved
– To jump out of an aeroplane strapped to an instructor – not possible
– Complete my childcare qualification – achieved
– Hair extensions, arranged by Amanda holden – achieved
– To laugh until I cry or my body hurts
– Watching the sunset in the most beautiful of places
– To be told I’m the coolest Auntie – achieved
– To meet Amanda Holden – achieved
– To watch Britain’s Got Talent and meet Amanda again – achieved
– To have the girls day
– To have spa days and a girls spa weekend – achieved
– Try on wedding dresses - achieved
– To have a hen night – achieved
– Go on stage at the Royal Albert Hall – achieved
– Too make someone’s cancer experience slightly happier to get through
– Swim with dolphins – achieved
– Take my sister, niece and mum to see Wicked at the theatre – achieved
– Go to the theatre – achieved
– Big shopping spree
– Afternoon tea – achieved
– Cocktail nights
– Cocktail night with naked waiters – achieved
– Go to an Ice bar – achieved
– To get my sister to be able to meet Gary Barlow or Robbie Williams – achieved
– McDonalds on a road trip to a concert Plan B_ spa hotel – friends and family – achieved
– Make full use of cinema card (stop wasting money lol)
– “Normal” DruNken night at the pub – achieved
– To be able to drive again
– Be able to go to work – achieved
– To meet Dynamo – achieved
– To have a shopping centre all too ourselves me – the family – and friends
(probably only the girls would want too)
– Posh sleep over – big house – catered food – cinema room – beautician – comfy
– Comedy night – Russell Howard would be great
– Afternoon tea at the Ritz – achieved
– To learn to sword cork – achieved
– Spend a stress free family day
– To eat really lovely food
– Walk the dogs – dogs need training (HELP)
– All inclusive 5* Holiday ;o)
– Too meet Kate and Prince William
– For me and my dad to meet the Manchester United team
– For me, my brother, brother-in-law and sister to meet the Tottenham Hotspur
team – achieved
– Take too many pictures and laugh a lot.
– Trip on the London Eye – achieved
Knight will undergo another round of chemotherapy next week in the hopes of prolonging her life. You can follow her journey at her blog.
More on Yahoo! Shine:
Boy creates bucket list for his dying service dog
6-year-old old cancer patients gets royal hug from Kate, Duchess of Cambridge
Can a Vegan Diet Prevent Cancer?