POPSUGAR FitnessSource: Take Charge! 5 Things You Can Do to Reduce Cellulite
You're trying on a new swimsuit, and when you turn around to see your cute tush, you notice something not so cute - cellulite. When fat cells push up against our skin and the fibrous tissue that connects our skin to our muscle pulls down, we're left with dimply, orange-peel-looking flesh. Although you can't get rid of cellulite completely - and just about all women have it - here are five things you can do to reduce its appearance.
- Melt Away Fat With Cardio: Cellulite is a type of fat, and the tried-and-true way to get rid of fat is to burn it off. Intense cardio workouts such as running, cycling, hiking up hills, or taking cardio classes are your greatest weapon. Note that it may take several months to decrease your overall percentage of body fat and notice a difference in your skin's appearance.
- Tone Up: Once you decrease the fat on your body, tone strong, lean muscle by doing strength-training moves that target trouble spots. Try this video that tones the hamstrings and glutes, or grab your mat and move through this leg- and core-strengthening yoga sequence to improve the tone of your muscles, which will help make your legs, tush, and abs appear smoother.
- Eat Right: Of course, eating a healthy diet goes hand-in-hand with maintaining a healthy weight. The less fat you have on your body, the less cellulite appears. Eat a diet rich in fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains.
- Stay Hydrated: Reducing the appearance of dimply skin is as simple as drinking a glass of nature's beverage. Staying hydrated improves the texture of your skin because it helps your body release excess fluid your body may be holding onto.
- Get Your Zs: Getting enough rest every night is good for your heart, prevents you from getting sick, lowers your risk of high blood pressure, and helps with weight loss. That's not all shut-eye is good for - getting regular quality sleep also helps with cellulite. Aim for at least seven to eight hours a night.
25 Things You Should Know About Cellulite
FDA-Approved One-Time Laser Treatment Removes Cellulite
Can't Shake Those Last 10 Pounds? Freeze Away Your Fat