Having trouble sleeping lately? If you're exercising regularly, not stressed, and your bedroom is cozy and comfortable, then it may be what you're eating that's preventing you from a restful night of zzz's. If falling asleep and staying asleep is an issue for you, ditch these five foods from your diet.
- Alcohol - Having a glass of wine, a bottle of beer, a fruity cocktail, or a hot toddy can calm your nerves and relax you after dinner, but it won't help you snooze. Alcohol can interfere with sleep and hunger patterns, and drinking too much can also make you have to go to the bathroom.
- Chocolate - It's obvious that having a coffee in the evening will keep you up, but hot cocoa contains caffeine as well - not much, but enough to affect those who are sensitive. If you have trouble falling asleep, ditch all chocolate before bed including small amounts drizzled on ice cream or chocolate chunks in cookies. Aside from caffeine, chocolate also contains tyrosine, an amino acid that perks up the brain.
- Spicy or Fried Foods - Foods with a kick will not only jolt you when you eat them for dinner, but they'll come back to haunt you when you're trying to sleep too. That's because spicy and fried foods can cause heartburn, which will not only keep you awake, but cause uncomfortable burning in your chest.
- Sugar -If you're no stranger to sleep troubles, the simple act of ditching refined sugars from your diet may do the trick. Eating sugary foods raises your blood sugar levels, so you may have no problem falling asleep, but when your levels drop, you'll get woken up. Avoid candy, cakes, cookies, and soda and you're sure to notice a difference.
- Way Too Much Food or Drink - Sometimes it's not important what you eat, but rather how much. Stuffing yourself silly before bed is sure to cause digestive issues that will prevent you from getting a good's night's sleep. Opt for a light dinner instead, and finish eating at least two hours before you hit the hay. Same goes for beverages. If you gulp down too many glasses of liquid, you'll get woken up in the middle of the night to use the ladies room.
Sleep Issue: Panties vs. Going Commando
Wanna Sleep at Night? Stop Counting Sheep
How to Know You Need More Sleep
Follow FitSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of FitSugar on Facebook