There's nothing worse than itchy, red bug bites to ruin your summer skin. As a magnet for pesky insects, I spend my days suffering from endless irritation while slathering on potent-smelling bug spray that does more to repel my friends than hungry mosquitoes. Here's how you can make your own insect repellent sans DEET and full of all-natural bug fighters.
Related: 20 Superfoods for Weight Loss
1. Essential oils such as citronella, lemongrass, eucalyptus, peppermint, patchouli and lavender, to name a few, smell great but are pretty effective at turning mosquitoes off. You can buy any of these at a store--just remember, they are for your skin not your food!
2. Mix your essential oils. You can try combinations such as lavender, eucalyptus, lemongrass and patchouli (my favorite), or eucalyptus, cedarwood, tea tree and geranium.
Bonus: Want more DIY beauty? Discover natural beauty recipes in your fridge!
3. Grab some olive oil, rubbing alcohol, witch hazel or even vodka and water, and mix 1 part of your essential oils with 10 parts of the liquid you choose. Shake it up, pour it into a spray bottle and you're good to go!
Do you have a favorite DIY recipe? Share!
MORE FROM SELF:
- Foods That Fight Cellulite
- Jillian Michaels's Diet Tips
- Butt and Thigh Exercises: Look Hot in Jeans
- 30 Healthy Snacks
- Are You at Your Ideal Weight? Find Out Now
Photo Credit: Condé Nast Digital Studio