Do's and don'ts of a Successful Fitness Plan
Starting a fitness program doesn't have to be overwhelming when you are armed with the proper tools to get things rolling. Once you've committed to getting in shape, there are several things you can do to ensure you'll exceed your short and long term fitness goals. There are also some things you should avoid at all costs to ensure you stay on the path to fitness and wellness. What exactly are the rules when it comes to fitness?
- Write down your fitness goals. You're more likely to stick with a program once you have set some specific goals.
- Always strive to eat a well balanced diet that includes ample servings of vegetables and fruit.
- Break down your meals so you are eating several mini meals per day.
- Assess your current fitness level before starting an exercise program. By doing so, you'll be able to establish goals that meet your specific fitness needs.
- Consider talking with your health care provider before embarking on a fitness program, particularly if you are struggling with a health condition such as diabetes or obesity.
- Supplement your diet with essential fatty acids. You can do this by eating two servings of fish per week.
- Choose alternatives to satisfy your cravings when possible. Consider frozen fruit over ice cream or opt for a mini chocolate instead of the whole candy bar.
- Always stretch before and after your exercise routine.
- Don't overdo it! Try doing too much at once and you'll burn out swiftly. Slowly increase the intensity of your workouts.
- Diversify your workout routine. If you do the same exercises day after day, you'll quickly tire and are more likely to skip workouts.
- Work out with a friend. You'll help motivate each other.
- Keep healthy snacks available at all times. You're less likely to grab junk food if something good for you is readily available.
More from SparkPeople.com:· 6 Essential Variables in Weight Training
· The Keys to Aerobic Exercise
· Add Strength Training for Lean Muscles