Want to lose weight and get fit? If you exercise for your body type, getting in shape will be a breeze.
-Melissa Paris, BettyConfidential.com
It's important when considering a workout to really understand your body and what it's capable of. One of the best ways to do this is to find out your body type. I've created a simple and easy guide so you can reach your maximum workout potential.
Type 1- Mesomorph
Cardio for Mesmomorph
Cardiovascular exercises should be done 2 to 3 times a week for about 20 to30 minutes per session.
• Intensity for cardio should be moderate to high for fat burning.
• I suggest an interval session were intervals are 45 seconds on and 15 seconds off for the 20 minute period.
• Don't go over board as it is believed that Mesomorph could loose lean mass if cardio is too long/frequent, so don't be a hamster on that treadmill!
Weights for Mesomorph
• Heavy weight performed explosively. Super sets are great and 3 to 4 exercises per body part.
• For example if your doing shoulders start with overhead press 3 sets of 15 reps.
• Superset with lateral raises 3 sets of 15.
• Always allow proper recovery (24 to 48 hours), rest and variety as this style of workouts can easily lead to overtraining.
Body Type: Ectomorph
This type is long and lean with smaller muscles. It is much harder for this group to gain size, muscle, or weight.
Ectomorphs usually have a harder time keeping weight on so cardiovascular training should not be a priority. Focusing on lean muscle gains is a good idea for long-term health.
Weights for Ectomorph
• You will benefit the most if you train with heavy weights.
• Exercises using barbell and dumbbell are great at achieving this such as squats, dead lifts, barbell curls, and skull crushers.
• Barbells allow you to use full range of motion and are said to be best at mimicking natural human body movement.
• By taking longer rests between sets (2 to3 minutes), you can replenish your ATP level and lift intensively again.
• Performing such workouts using heavy weight puts a lot of pressure on your body.
• So make sure if you train this way you are taking proper rests between sessions.Type 3 - Endomorph
Body Type: Endomorph
This particular body type is generally predisposed to higher body fat percent accumulation. It is harder to tone without a proper diet and exercise regimen. When choosing a type of workout, Endomorph's should focus on enhancing their metabolism, since Endomorph's are prone to carrying extra body fat, cardiovascular training must be present and regular.
Cardio for Endomorph
• Try switching it up with running, spinning, biking, or elliptical.
• A 30 to 40 minutes (including warm up and cool down) session would be suitable.
• I suggest using a heart rate monitor to keep within your target heart rate range in order to maximize fat loss.
• To find your target range, take 220 minus your age and multiply the result by the percentage of exertion you aim at working out at.
• I suggest circuit training with Repetition range of 10 to 15 reps.
• Short rests no more than 30 to 60 seconds to keep the heart rate in a calorie-burning zone.
• For example 15 squats, 10 push-ups, 20 jumping jacks, 15 overhead press, 15 dips, 15 wood-chop, 15 crunches and 15 bicep curls rest 1 minute and repeat 3 times.
Melissa Paris is New York City based personal trainer.
More from BettyConfidential.com:What's Your Celeb Summer Style?
Can Women Have Sex Like Men?
See Who's In a Bar Before You Go!