Kana OkadaApril Daniels Hussar, SELF magazine
There's something about summer that brings out the kid in everyone -- maybe it's all that bike-riding and splashing in the pool. Found yourself in line for a soft-serve ice cream cone lately? Summer also tends to bring out everyone's childhood sweet tooth!
Related: Yoga Moves for Flat Abs
We asked our friends at Hungry-Girl.com (the site founded by the "Hungry Girl" herself, best-selling author and host of the Hungry Girl TV show, Lisa Lillien) and Jennifer Iserloh, aka "The Skinny Chef," founder of SkinnyChef.com, for some of their favorite recipes that will have you grinning like a kid again, without sacrificing your bikini bod...
1. If you'd dig a Devil Dog...Have a yen for a cream-filled treat of yesteryear? Make these Mini Chocolate Cakewiches, developed by The Skinny Chef for SELF, filled with cream cheese and Greek yogurt.
2. If you scream for ice cream...Ice-cream man miss your street today? Three (yes, three!) of SELF's mini ice-cream sandwiches will only cost you 220 calories total and will satisfy your sweet, crunchy and cocoa cravings all at once. Win, win, win.
Related: Foods That Fight Belly Bloat
3. If you want some more S'mores...What's summer without S'mores? Tomorrow happens to be National S'mores Day, and this recipe from Hungry Girl will help you celebrate skinny-style:
Gimme Gimme S'mores Sandwich
1 sheet (4 crackers) low-fat honey graham crackers
1/4 cup Cool Whip Free, thawed
1 tsp mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 miniature marshmallows
Break graham cracker sheet into two squares. Set aside. In a small bowl, lightly stir together whipped topping, chocolate chips and marshmallows. Don't over-stir.
Place one graham cracker square on a plate, and top with whipped-topping mixture. Lightly place the other square on top. Freeze until solid, about 1 hour. Store in the freezer until ready to serve. Enjoy! (And scream for S'more!)
The skinny: 133 calories, 2.5 g fat, 26 g carbs, 0.5 g fiber, 1 g protein, 99 mg sodium
4. If you're longing for a Rice Krispies Treat...Remember melting butter, raiding your BFF's cupboard and making a sticky, delicious midnight slumber party snack? This recipe from Hungry Girl will satisfy your craving for a marshmallowy treat with a healthy twist. Just add a game of Truth or Dare!
Makes 25 squares:
3 tbsp Smart Balance 37-percent Light Buttery Spread
3 cups miniature marshmallows
2 cups Fiber One cereal
5 cups Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs or puffed wheat cereal
Melt butter spread in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Add both cereals. Stir until well-coated. Using a spatula, press mixture evenly into a baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Allow to cool. Cut into 25 squares, talk about boys.
The skinny per serving: 47 calories, less than 1 g fat, 11 g carbs, 32 mg sodium
Related: 20 Superfoods for Weight Loss
5. If you crave an orange creamsicle...Whip up a batch of this frozen delight from The Skinny Chef for the perfect summer afternoon treat:
1 1/2 tbsp grated orange zest
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
2 cups non-fat, skim milk
2 cups non-fat, plain yogurt
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour into popsicle molds or freeze in an airtight container 3-4 hours or until firm.
The skinny per serving: 35 calories, 0 g fat, 27 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 6 g protein, 80 mg sodium
More from SELF:
5 Simple Steps to Cellulite-Free Skin
3 CrossFit Total-Body Workouts
50 Healthiest Snacks
6 Secrets to Firing Up Your Metabolism