By Carmen Staicer - Chief Mom at DietsInReview.com
This year a new holiday debuts on October 16. Tomorrow is the first International Fitness Day! Join people worldwide celebrating a day committed to health and fitness and philanthropic giving to help end the obesity epidemic. International Fitness Day was created to promote people getting up, out and exercising a minimum of 30 minutes, with any kind of activity they choose, and eating healthful fare.
The idea of International Fit Day started with a mom, Dina Skulte of Fit for Kids Sake, concerned about the childhood obesity epidemic and ready to do something about it. A movement for movement sounds like a great place to start!
"If America is serious about fixing this growing problem, it's up to us. It's up to the parents of America's youth to become accountable for the health of our children, says Skulte. "We need to be our children's role models, even when it comes to what we put in our mouths and how we treat our bodies."
If you want to get yourself, your kids, your friends and anyone else you know up moving tomorrow, here are a few fun ways you can make that happen without feeling like you're working out!
- Find a local 5K event and walk, run or jog
- Attend a yoga class
- Get lost in a local corn maze at the pumpkin patch
- Dust off your bicycle and take a spin around the neighborhood
- Take a hike in a city park or at the beach
- Play a game of soccer, tag football or backyard baseball with your kids
- Play Wii as a family
- Visit a roller skating or ice skating rink
- Add up the numbers in your birth year (ex: 1969 = 25) and do that many sets of stairs
- Take your kids to the playground and run the circuit with them
- Play old fashioned outdoor games like freeze tag, foursquare, hopscotch, or Red Light, Green Light with your family
- Challenge your spouse to a push-up/sit-up competition. Loser does dishes.
10 Things Parents Can do to Help Fight Obesity
Fall Fun Can Burn Major Calories
4 Ways to Exercise Like a Child