Want to get more out of your work out? Add weights! Even light weights (2-5 lbs) can increase the rate at which you burn both fat and calories, all in the same amount of time as your usual routine. In addition to losing weight, you will also increase your muscle tone and improve your cardiovascular health.
Related: Tips To Make Your Sedentary Job Less Sedentary
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your weighted workout!
Using Ankle Weights:
1. Don't Use Heavy Weights. Your goal is to improve your cardio rate, not add strength.
2. Ankle Weights should be tight. Don't let them be loose around your foot as this will affect your natural stride.
3. Consult Your Doctor if You Have Joint Issues. If you have had difficulty with ankles, knees, or hips in the past, be sure to ask your doctor whether you should use ankle weights and how many pounds is safe.
Using Hand Weights:
1. Swing Your Arms. And do so higher than you normally would, at a 90 degree angle, bent at the elbows.
2. Bicep Curls. Tone up your triceps by extending your arms above your head. Keep your upper arms close to your ears, and bend your arms behind you. Aim for 12-15 repetitions.
3. Ten Hut! Raise your weights when you step with your right foot and lower then when you step with the left.
4. Lateral Lifts will tone the entire arm. Lift straight out in front of you until parallel with the ground. Lift and lower for about 15 repetitions, and alternate between keeping the tops of your hands flat and straight and turning them to the sides.
More from Intent.com: