Even though Halloween is over, foodies and chefs alike can't get enough pumpkin (Click here to find out which "Top Chef" winner shared their favorite pumpkin recipe with genConnect)!
Often forgotten after all the jack-o'-lanterns and pumpkin carving is the pumpkin seed. In addition to being a tasty snack, the seeds are packed with health benefiting antioxidants, minerals and vitamins, such as iron, magnesium, sodium and zinc. They have been shown to help promote prostate health , prevent osteoporosis , reduce cholesterol and aid in cancer prevention . Even better -this recipe below is gluten-free and vegan-friendly, which makes it a great addition to any Thanksgiving menu this year!
Roasted Toasted Balsamic Lime Pumpkin Seeds
Recipe: Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 very ripe avocado, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated lime zest
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1/6 tsp. all-spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Clean pumpkin seeds, removing any pumpkin flesh. Soak pumpkin seeds in warm water for 12 hours or overnight. Rinse seeds and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, beat together all ingredients except pumpkin seeds on high speed until well combined.
- Slowly add pumpkin seeds; gently toss to coat.
- Using a spoon, transfer pumpkin seeds to prepared baking sheet. Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; set aside to cool.
Do you have any holiday recipes to share? Tell us below!
About the Author:
Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP
Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP is a Manhattan based Culinary Marketing Consultant, recipe developer and food writer specializing in Gluten Free, soy-free and Dairy Free Culinary Nutrition. Her website is The Healthy Apple.
Related Links on genConnect:
- Laura Werlin's Tasty Squash & Grilled Cheese Recipes
- Asian Sloppy Joes by Ming Tsai (RECIPE)
- Kung Pao Chicken with Brown Rice (RECIPE)
- Master Mixologist Claire Smith - With a Twist (VIDEOS + RECIPES)
Want more genConnect?