Humans have been using hemp for thousands of years, and for good reason too--it's extremely versatile. Used for clothes, beauty products, paper, food, milk, pet products and more, hemp lives up to the definition of a superseed.
Although hemp is breaking away from it's negative reputation for being associated with the Cannabis plant, it's important to know that it's not relatively close to being like marijuana--it is bred with much lower levels of the psychedelic chemical THC than the drug is. Our favorite way to use hemp is, of course, in its edible form: as an oil, a fiber and a seed. Hemp seeds especially carry tons of nutritional benefits and can be used in numerous amounts of recipes.
This list is a long one! There are so many health benefits to hemp seeds that it would be foolish not to run out to the store this instant to buy them!
- A 1.5-tablespoon serving of hemp seeds contains five grams of protein, 86 milligrams of magnesium, 10 percent daily value of iron, 1245 milligrams of Omega-3 fatty acids and 436 milligrams of Omega-6 fatty acids!
- One of the Omega-6 acids, gamma linolenic acid (or GLA), is an excellent source of anti-inflammatory hormones that support a healthy metabolism and good skin, hair and nails.
- Like flaxseeds, hemp seeds contain all ten of the essential amino acids.
- It's protein source is much more digestible than others, and won't leave you feeling bloated.
- Hemp seeds contain anti-aging antioxidants such as vitamin E.
- They're also rich in other minerals such as zinc and phosphorus.
Indulge in Hemp!
Hemp seeds, which are technically a fruit, can be used in a wide variety of recipes. If you're looking for something simple, add them to your favorite smoothies. But if you're feeling a little more adventurous, then check out some of the tasty recipes below that incorporate this delicious superfood.
1. Creamy Hemp Pesto
2. Goji Berry and Hemp Seed Granola
3. Cheezy Kale Salad
4. Creamy Lemon Herb Dressing
5. Banana Chocolate Chia Pudding
Want to learn more about superfoods, read the articles below by One Green Planet on Yahoo:
1. A Miracle Super Spice? the Health Benefits of Turmeric, with 5 Amazing Recipes
2. The ULTIMATE Guide to Superfoods
3. Why You Should Be Eating Chia Seeds: Tips, Recipes and Product Picks
4. Why You Should Replace Your Caffeine Fix with Maca
5. 6 Healthy (and Yummy) Ways to Eat Kale