POPSUGAR FitnessSource: Little Choices Healthy People Make Every Day
You know what it takes to be healthy - a well-balanced diet, regular exercise, and the motivation to stick to both. But reaching these broad-arching goals can be a tougher than just saying them. A better bet is to break up your healthy must dos into smaller choices that you can make every day while you inch yourself closer to your major goals. Are you making the best little choices for a healthier day? Read on to find out what they are!
- Think About It: Just a few tiny choices when it's meal time can save you hundreds of calories. Think before you imbibe those empty drink calories or decide you want to order the fries. Need ideas? We've got a few strategies that will help you save hundreds of calories by the end of today.
- Aim to Move: Combat a sedentary job with regular movement throughout the day. Whether you take the long route, step away from your desk for lunch, or set a new weekly goal for your pedometer, you should keep in mind that studies show sitting all day is bad news.
- Sweat a Little: For a healthy heart, regular higher-intensity exercise should be on your daily schedule. A good, effective workout doesn't have to eat into your daily life, however: just 30 minutes of high-intensity exercise a week - a week! - has been proven to reduce your risk of heart attack by 30 percent.
- Indulge Smartly: Forbidding yourself to eat certain foods may just lead to you start daydreaming about nothing else. Instead of dealing with a strict diet, be strategic about the "cheats" you know you must have. From smarter swaps to cheat days, give yourself wiggle room and say yes to the chocolate with these ways to indulge the smart way.
- Carry a Water Bottle: Carrying a reusable water bottle around with you whenever possible is a good way to remind yourself that you need a drink, and since staying hydrated helps you stay energized and flush out toxins, drinking enough water should be one of your top daily priorities. Here are some of our favorite BPA-free water bottles.