Jaclyn Emerick, SELF magazine
Lose the equipment-and the excuses. All you need is a wall to firm every square inch. Watch the step-by-step instruction video.
Your expert New York City trainer Rustin Steward. "The less stuff you need, the harder it is to blow off a workout," Steward says. So unless you live in a tent, this is your new go-to routine. "The wall supports you, helping you stay aligned and sculpt more efficiently than with freestanding exercises," he explains. Disclaimer: The moves are hard. But your body will be, too.
You'll need Yup, just a plain old wall. Don't want scuff marks? Lose the sneaks. There-one less thing to worry about.
See more: Foods That Fight Belly Bloat
Your plan Do these seven moves three times a week on alternate days and you'll realize that sometimes it can be a good thing when your workout hits the wall. Ha, ha.Do just the numbered moves and you'll firm up. Add this squat jump for 1 minute between each and you'll also torch serious calories.
1. SIT 'N' SCULPT (works shoulders, upper back, abs, butt, thighs): Squat with back to wall, right thigh parallel to floor, left ankle on right knee, arms against wall like a goalpost. Keeping arms pressed against wall, slide arms up until slightly bent (as shown). Lower arms for 1 rep. Do 12 reps. Switch crossed legs; repeat.
2. SIDE SLIMMER (works shoulders, obliques): Start on left side, left forearm on floor, right arm extended to ceiling, left foot pressing into bottom of wall. Lift hips off floor into side plank and raise right leg as high as you can until it is barely touching wall (as shown). Hold for 30 seconds. Switch sides; repeat.
See more: 20 Superfoods for Weight Loss
3. CLIMB THE WALL (works shoulders, back, abs, butt, thighs): Start in plank, hands under shoulders, feet in line with hips and pressing into wall. Pull right knee toward chest (as shown), then return foot to wall. Repeat immediately on left side. Continue, quickly alternating legs, for 1 minute.
4. ARM-FLAB FIGHTER (works arms, chest, abs, hips, butt, hamstrings): Stand facing wall about a foot away, arms extended and hands on wall, left knee raised to hip level. Keep elbows in line with shoulders and lean forward until forearms rest on wall as you extend left leg back (as shown). Reverse for 1 rep. Do 10 reps. Switch legs; repeat.
Do just the numbered moves and you'll firm up. Add this squat jump for 1 minute between each and you'll also torch serious calories.
See more: Yoga Moves for Flat Abs
Face wall and squat deeply. We're talkin' thighs-parallel-to-floor deep! Then spring up. As you jump, look up and lightly touch the wall as high as you can with both hands. No rest between reps!
5. PIKE POSITION (works shoulders, triceps, back, abs): Start in plank, hands under shoulders, feet in line with hips and pressing into wall. Engage abs as you lift hips until body forms a wide inverted V (as shown). Return to start for 1 rep. Do 15 reps.
6. BOOTY BRIDGE (works butt, abs, hamstrings): Lie faceup with head away from wall, right knee bent and foot on floor, left knee bent 90 degrees with foot pressing into wall. Extend right leg toward ceiling and lift hips until body forms a straight line from left knee to shoulders (as shown). Pause, then lower hips for 1 rep. Do 15 reps. Switch legs; repeat.
7. PUMPED-UP PLANK (works shoulders, abs, obliques, lower back): Start in plank, hands under shoulders, feet in line with hips and pressing into wall (as shown). Hold for 1 minute. Make it easier: Lower legs, place toes on floor with feet pressed against wall.