Move over Rolaids and Tylenol. Step aside Tums and Seldane. If you spell relief D-R-U-G-S, you might want to consider the effects of doing so.
First there are the obvious side-effects of drugs. The pharmaceuticals that millions of people turn to for relief from pain, inflammation, and other symptoms are not only causing side effects, they are actually damaging the health of many people. Drug side effects are the third leading cause of death. By some estimates six thousand people die every year from "simple" non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These commonly-used drugs can contribute to congestive heart failure, kidney disease, suicidal depression, cataracts, ulcers, macular degeneration, hearing loss, tinnitus, memory loss, fatigue, liver disease, and many other health concerns.
Prescription and over-the-counter medications can also deplete your body of much-needed vitamins and minerals required for your body's basic functions. Over-the-counter pain relievers like Aspirin, Advil, Aleve, Tylenol, and the countless others on the market can deplete your body of Vitamin C, folic acid, iron, zinc, and other essential nutrients. These nutrients are needed to keep your immune system strong, heal tissues, maintain cellular integrity, build healthy blood, heal wounds, and nourish skin and hair.
Here are some of the common types of drugs and the nutrients that they often deplete:Here are some of the common types of drugs and the nutrients that they often deplete:
Pharmaceutical Drugs and Nutrients They Can Deplete
- Drug Names: Acetylsalicylic acid, ibuprofen, indomethacin, naproxen, and Nabumetone
- Nutrients That Can Be Depleted: Vitamin C, folic acid, iron and zinc.
Birth Control Pills
- Drug Names: Micornor, Triphasil, Ovral, and Ortho Novum Pyridoxine
- Nutrients that Can Be Depleted: (Vitamin B-6), folic acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin C, magnesium and zinc
- Often used for asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, colitis, skin disorders, and immune disorders
- Drug Names: Prednisone, hydrocortisone, desamethasone, beclomethasone, triamcinolone
- Nutrients that Can Be Depleted: Pyridoxine (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, zinc and potassium
- Drug Names: Amitriptyline, desipramine, doxepin, imipramine
- Nutrient that Can Be Depleted: Coenzyme Q-10
Read about more nutrients depleted by 4 other common pharmaceutical drugs by Michelle Schoffro-Cook here
About the Author: Michelle Schoffro Cook, DNM, DAc, ROHP, RNCP is a best-selling and six-time book author and doctor of natural medicine, whose works include: The Life Force Diet, The Ultimate pH Solution, and The 4-Week Ultimate Body Detox Plan. Learn more at: www.TheLifeForceDiet.com.
Read more by Michelle Schoffro Cook on Intent.com