Image Source: Brain Foods
If you're going through a particularly stressful time in your life and need all the help you can get to boost your immune system, this is the recipe for you. Students, professionals, researchers - if you spend a lot of time looking at a computer screen or do a lot of reading, you need to make sure your brain is getting the nutrients it needs!
Millet is a seed, though it looks more like a grain you might easily confuse with couscous. When cooked, it soaks up liquid to become wonderfully plump - a perfect texture for a comforting bowl of porridge. Millet has many health benefits: it is rich in vitamin B and C, selenium, zinc, iron, potassium, manganese and dietary fiber, all of which you need to be full of energy and to have a healthy digestive system. It is a highly alkaline food, so it's very healthy for you!
Oh and did we mention it's gluten-free? For more awesome gluten-free recipes, visit here.
The dried figs provide a hefty dose of calcium, and finally, the cinnamon and ginger boost your metabolism. What's not to love?
Serves 2 | Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins
- 100g millet
- 200ml water
- 200ml almond milk
- a dozen dried figs, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground (or fresh) ginger
- zest of an orange (optional: add the juice, too)
- date syrup, for topping
Bring the water and milk to the boil, then add the millet and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until cooked and plump. If you find it is too thick, add a splash of milk. Take off the heat, stir in the spices and zest, toss in the dried figs, and top with a drizzle of date syrup. Enjoy!
Here are more recipes that are infused with superfoods like goji berries, chia seeds, carob, cacao, hemp, mesquite and cinnamon and will surely feed those grey cells:
1. Goji Energy Bites
2. Chocolate Chia Breakfast Pudding
3 Raw Carob Caramel Cups
4. Raw Truffle with Chia, Caramel and Coconut
5. Creamy Hemp Pesto
Want to learn more about superfoods, read the articles below by One Green Planet on Yahoo:
1. A Miracle Super Spice? the Health Benefits of Turmeric, with 5 Amazing Recipes
2. The ULTIMATE Guide to Superfoods
3. Why You Should Be Eating Chia Seeds: Tips, Recipes and Product Picks
4. Why You Should Replace Your Caffeine Fix with Maca
5. 6 Healthy (and Yummy) Ways to Eat Kale
6. What the heck are superfoods?