Source: Reinvent Comfort With Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese
Is there anything more comforting than macaroni and cheese? The change in season and cooler temperatures call for this warming classic. If you're looking to lighten things up the next time you dig into this indulgent dish, opt for this twist on tradition that amps up the nutritional value as it cuts back on calories and carbs. Versatile and nutrient-rich spaghetti squash lays the base to this recipe, while broccoli adds even more vitamin A to this Fall recipe. The best part of all? The mix of lower-fat cheeses that results in a dreamy, rich-tasting sauce you can enjoy sans guilt.
More from POPSUGAR Fitness: Brighten Up Fall With Kabocha Squash Hummus
From Lizzie Fuhr, POPSUGAR FitnessSpaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese
1 large spaghetti squash
Canola oil spray
2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
1 tablespoon ghee
1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional garnish
1 teaspoon grated parmesan, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut spaghetti squash in half, and scoop out and discard seeds. Spray the center of both halves of squash with cooking spray, and place cut side up on a cookie sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with a knife, about 50 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven, and let cool. Once it's safe to handle, scrape flesh into a large bowl. Add in steamed broccoli florets to bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt ghee on medium heat and whisk in whole wheat flour. Add milk and whisk quickly. Turn heat down to low, add both cheeses to saucepan, and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour cheese sauce over spaghetti squash and broccoli mixture, and toss until all the squash is covered.
- Dish into four portions, and top off with red pepper flakes and extra cheese if you wish!
- Category: Main Dishes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Calories per serving: 296
Bake a Batch of Fall: Ginger Molasses Cookies With Quinoa Flour
Post-Workout Recovery: Banana, Almond Butter, and Coconut-Water Smoothie
8 Seasonal Soups Worth Fall's Chill