FitSugarSource: Score a Healthy Touchdown With These Super Bowl Snacks
In my house, Super Bowl Sunday equals Super Bowl snack time. Savory items like chips, dips, wings, and pizza are standard, but I also offer up healthy, lighter fare.
Intercept empty calories, sugar, and fat by making these better-for-you alternatives to the classics. With tasty food like this, you won't even miss the guacamole, ranch dip, or pizza!
- Kale Chips: Light, crispy, and delicious, kale chips are loaded with vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium. They also won't last long, so make sure you make a bunch at your Super Bowl gathering.
- Whole Wheat Pizza: Don't deprive yourself of pizza on Super Bowl Sunday, make our whole wheat pizza dough and cover it with healthy toppings.
- Mango Red Pepper Salsa: Salsa is always a great alternative to fattening dips because it's low in fat and full of fresh veggies. Enjoy this mango red pepper salsa with crackers, corn chips, or pita bread.
- Nonfat Yogurt Dill Dip With Veggies: Replace ranch dip with this creamy yogurt dip - it's made from nonfat Greek yogurt, which means it's tangy and full of protein. Add a little cayenne for an extra kick.
- Tofu Chili With Black Beans: A big pot of chili is a must for game day. Tofu chili with black beans has spicy and smokey flavors, but the absence of meat makes it low in fat and calories and high in protein
More from FitSugar: 5 Tips Away From a Healthy Snack
- Fruit Kebabs: You'll be shocked at how fast fruit kebabs disappear when put out on the table. Make them even more special by adding a maple cinnamon dip to the mix.
- Eggplant Stacks: If you need a more substantial snack, try making these eggplant stacks. The heartiness of the eggplant makes it a great meat replacement, and the fresh basil and mozzarella add flavors that take center stage.
- Mango Shrimp Skewers: Food on a stick is always a smart choice for get-togethers. Hands stay clean and the dish is easier to serve. Mango shrimp skewers are quick and easy to cook up and will keep guests coming back for more.
- Hummus: Classic hummus is a great snack to have around because it complements almost everything - veggies, bread, crackers, or pita. It's also super easy to make.
- Pizza Quinoa Polenta: Everybody loves pizza! These quinoa polenta bites put a healthy spin on the classic but still have a satisfying gooeyness.
More from FitSugar: 3 Foods Proven to Help You Work Out
- Spicy Garbanzo Beans: We love this recipe for spicy garbanzo beans - satisfying like a bag of chips but without all the added oil. Crunchy, spicy, and full of protein.
- Crab Stuffed Crimini Mushrooms: Crab stuffed crimini mushrooms are cheesy goodness on a plate that are packed with protein and big flavor.
- Homemade Trail Mix: Satisfy salty-sweet cravings, save money, and get creative by making your own trail mix. Make a few different combos for the big day to keep guests energized.
- Edamole: Even though guacamole is made with healthy fat, you can have too much of a good thing. Swap out avocados for edamame, and you've got yourself some nutritious edamole! This chip dip is full of protein, low in fat, and most importantly, tastes good.
15 Salty Snacks Under 150 Calories
No Bread Needed: 10 Low-Carb Snack Ideas
Winter Warm-Up: Black and White Bean Soup With Sweet Potatoes
Follow FitSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of FitSugar on Facebook