This is a large collection of home remedies I've compiled to help with sunburn relief, there are over 50 soothing treatments to review.Simple Ingredients Such As Honey, Lemon & Tea Can Help Soothe SkinAt the bottom of this post you'll find some information about signs to watch for when determining if medical attention is needed as well as blister care and signs of infection.
Vinegar: Can use white household vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Spray vinegar all over burn or soak small towels in vinegar and apply to skin
- Bathe in a cool bath with 2 - 3 cups of vinegar
- Rose Petal Vinegar(skip the cloves in the recipe when using for sunburn care) - Spray on skin
- Lavender Vinegar - Spray on skin
Tea: The tannic acid from tea is soothing for sunburns
- Steep a large pot of very strong tea using 4 - 6 tea bags. Refrigerate the tea until it's cold then soak small towels in the tea and apply to burn area. Can also spray the cold tea on burn. The tea could stain the towels, you may not want to use your best.
- Save used tea bags and apply to burn area (make sure to have bags at room temperature first).
- Bathe in a cool bath with several tea bags in the water.
- Soak small towels in milk and apply to skin.
- Soak in a bath with cool water and a gallon of milk.
- Plain Yogurt - apply directly to skin.
- Aloe Vera Gel, either purchased or taken fresh from an aloe leaf.
- Lotions that include Aloe Vera.
- Fill a bath with cool water and add 2 cups oatmeal. Soak in bath for about 30 minutes.
- Mix oatmeal with raw egg whites and apply to sunburn.
- Fill bath with cool water and add 1 - 2 cups baking soda, dissolve. Soak in tub for 30 minutes.
- Fill a spray bottle with cool water and dissolve 1/4 cup baking soda. Spritz on burned skin.
· 5 Things You Need To Know About Treating Dark Circles Under the Eyes
Essential Oils: Caution when applying on children. Keep out of eyes and mouth.
- Fill a spray bottle with cool water and add a few drops of choice, or add 10 to 12 drops essential oils to a bath full of cool water and soak. Lavender Oil or Chamomile Oil.
- Make a paste of cornstarch and water, apply to skin and allow to dry.
- Fill a spray bottle with cool water and add some cornstarch, mix to dissolve. Spray on skin.
- Fill a bath with cool water and add 1 cup cornstarch, dissolve. Soak in tub for 30 minutes.
- Soak in tub or shower with cool water. Pat dry. Lightly dust skin with cornstarch.
- 1/2 cup cornstarch + 1/2 cup baking soda added to bath of cool water, dissolve. Soak for 30 minutes.
· Treat Your Acne With Coconut Oil Will Bring Out Your Beauty With Moisturizing Bonus
- Slices added directly to skin or mash first then apply to burn.
- Grate cucumbers and mix with milk. Apply directly to skin.
- Grate potatoes and apply directly to skin-include as much of the potato juice as possible.
- Apply raw egg whites to skin.
- Mix 2 egg whites, 1 TBS honey, 1 TBS witch hazel and apply to skin.
- Spray directly on skin.
- Smooth honey over the burn or slather honey on a strip of gauze and apply to skin.
- Mix honey with lime or lemon juice (80/20) and apply.
- Mix honey 50/50 with milk, stir well, then apply.
- 1/4 cup tomato juice or tomato paste mixed with 1 1/2 cups buttermilk. Apply to burn area.
- Slice or mash tomatoes and apply to skin.
- Mash tomatoes and mix with an equal amount of buttermilk. Apply to burned skin.
- Add 2 cups tomato juice to bath of cool water, soak.
· Tricks to Remove Acne Scars in One Day
More Pantry Fixins:
- Smear mustard on burned skin.
- Soak cloth in pickle juice and apply to skin. Or spray pickle juice directly on burn.
- Puree strawberries and apply directly to skin.
Water & Ice:
- Spritz chilled water on burn.
- Soak in a cool bath or take a cool shower.
- Wrap ice packs, ice cubes or bags of frozen vegetables in a towel and then apply to burn area to sooth.
- Drink lots of water to keep hydrated and help the healing process.
- Mix 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice in a spray bottle filled with cool water. Shake and spritz body as needed.
More Skin Soothers: Apply directly to sunburn
- Cocoa Butter
- Shaving Cream
- Vitamin E Cream or Oil (open capsules & apply oil)
- Diaper Rash Ointment
More Bath Soaks:
- 2 cups oatmeal, 2 cups milk, 1/4 cup honey
- Epsom salt bath
- 1 cup Epsom salts, 1 cup Baking soda
Lettuce: Quarter the head of lettuce and boil (moderate) in a pot of water for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, cover pot and allow to steep. Strain water and chill. Spray lettuce water directly on burn area. Can also chill cooked leaves and apply directly to burn area.
Cabbage: Same procedure as Lettuce.
Mint: Handful of fresh mint and proceed as above.
Plantain: Handful of fresh mint and proceed as above.
Strawberry Leaves: Save strawberry leaves and trimmings until you have a generous handful. Boil in 2 cups of water and proceed as above.
*Apply directly to burn area
- Maalox (Milk of Magnesia)
- Gold Bond Medicated Lotion
- Lanacane Anti-Bacterial First Aid Spray Anesthetic
- Preparation H
- Calamine Lotion
Sunburn Blisters: If blisters are present, don't open or burst them. This will help avoid infection as well as speed the skin healing process, a blister is the body's way of protecting and healing the damaged skin. Keep the blisters uncovered if possible.
The vinegar & honey remedies as well as antibacterial products are preferable when blisters are involved since they are antibacterial, helps prevent infection.
Some Signs of Infection: Swelling, painful, fever, swollen glands
For Pain Relief: Aspirin or ibuprofen or acetaminophen as directed.
See A Doctor:
- Sunburn is severe
- Purple patches, discolored blotches, or a rash appears
- Eyelids are burned or sore eyes
- Nauseous or vomiting
- Faint or dizzy
- Excessive pain
- Large amount of blisters
These are simply suggestions and a collection of home remedies for sunburn pain relief and treatment-not professional medical advice. Please seek a doctor's opinion when unsure or to confirm appropriate care.
· How To Use Castor Oil To Erase Wrinkles
· Choose The Right Oil Remedies For Your Eyes
Melanoma (skin cancer) has grown to be a serious concern in our time. It's so important to protect our children (and ourselves) as much as we can, please keep the kiddos lathered up in sunscreen, hats and sunglasses too . Each sunburn a child experiences can increase their chance of future problems.