Bell peppersNew research suggests some foods have the power to guard skin from the damage caused by the sun's UV radiation. While a salad is no substitute for sunblock, these healthy foods could add inner protection against sunburn and wrinkles at the cellular level.
1. Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits have the potent ingredient limonene, associated with a whopping 34 percent lower risk of skin cancer in one University of Arizona study of 470 women and men.
2. Green tea: This delicately flavored tea is full of antioxidants called EGCGs. Among their health-promoting capabilities: EGCGs stopped genetic damage in human skin cells exposed to UV light in one University of Wisconsin study.
3.Carrots: Carrots-or any other red, yellow, and orange fruits and vegetables-are packed with carotenoids, and studies show they reduce sunburn intensity.
4. Red Peppers: Like carrots, red peppers are also especially helpful in reducing sunburn intensity.
5. Spinach: Leafy greens, like dark green lettuce, spinach, kale, and Swiss chard, are top sources of the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which halted cell growth prompted by UV light in animal studies.
6. Salmon: This fish is a great source of oils rich in omega-3 fatty acids. In a small British study, fish oils guarded against sunburn and DNA changes that can lead to cancer.
7. Walnuts: Like salmon, walnuts are high is essential fatty acids that could guard against sunburn.
MORE LIKE THIS:
11 Packaged Food Words to Beware »
15 Foods You Should Never Buy Again »
13 Things Your Waiter Won't Tell You »
13 Things a Movie Theater Employee Won't Tell You »
10 Things You Should Never Buy at Garage Sales »