Are busy school schedules getting in the way of well-balanced, dairy-enriched meals for you and your family? With two young boys of my own, I know how difficult it can be to get everyone well-fed, especially before school. I have found that having my refrigerator well stocked with the essential low-fat and fat-free dairy products is the key to getting started. Check out my helpful tips for some "on-the-go" dairy ideas for those busy school mornings and some of my "Fall Favorite Breakfast Recipes" that follow.
Here are three on-the-go dairy tips and recommendations for those busy school mornings:
- Stock the refrigerator with a variety of low-fat yogurt. Yogurt is a great source of calcium and other nutrients that can be eaten quickly. It is also great with fresh berries, granola and even on top of pancakes.
- Low-fat milk is another perfect source of dairy when time is of the essence. Whether it is enjoyed in a bowl of cereal or oatmeal, blended into a smoothie with fruit or just poured into a tall glass, it is a must-have. Mix things up with low-fat chocolate or strawberry milk for variety.
- Cheese is ideal for any time of the day, which makes it a definite must-have in the refrigerator. A cheesy scrambled egg tortilla roll-up is great to eat on-the-go. Just scramble up an egg or two, sprinkle with cheese, place into a whole wheat tortilla, roll it up and off you go! Have cheese cubes and cheese sticks on hand for quick snacks as well.
Enjoy these Fall Breakfast Favorite Recipes:
Yogurt and Banana Spice Muffins
Spice Cake Mix, 18.25 oz size
6 oz container low-fat vanilla yogurt
2 medium overly ripe bananas, mashed with fork
¾ Cup water
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar for garnish if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix cake mix, yogurt, eggs, bananas and water until well combined. Spoon batter into 24 traditional size muffin cups that have been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 20-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from center of muffin.
2. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Garnish with powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 24 muffins
3-A-Day™ of Dairy Recipes
Also try these great recipes found on 3aday.org.