Ready to get a lean, sleek and sexy body? Get started with this fool-proof plan.Maintaining an active, healthy lifestyle is not only important for your body, but for your soul, as well. Below are ten simple steps that will get you the lean, sleek and energetic body you crave and will keep you nourished and happy.
1. Create an exercise plan. If you're not seeing results from your exercise routine, it's time to kick it up a notch. How about throwing in a few intervals, completing high intensity bursts of movement, trying a new type of cardio routine or changing your running route? The key to exercise results is consistency along with a dose of "muscle confusion." When muscles don't know what to expect, they react. This leads to a sleek, toned look and a faster metabolism. Also Read: 7 Steps To A Sexy Beach Body
2. Visit your local farmer. Now is the time to search out where your local farmers are so you can enjoy the freshest fruits and vegetables without any of the chemicals, herbicides and pesticides that are found on many supermarket varieties of produce. Don't know where they are? Click www.localharvest.org to find the farmer closest to you.
3. Keep hydrated. When the weather gets nicer, many of us take our fitness routines outside, which means there's even more of a need to keep ourselves hydrated. Fresh, filtered and pure water is your best choice.
4. Buy new sneakers and workout clothes. Sometimes, we need the extra motivation that looking the part can give us. That may mean a new pair of sneakers, a few new pieces of workout clothes, music or anything else that makes you feel ready to hit the gym, so treat yourself!
5. Keep a food journal. Healthy eating begins with the awareness of what you're currently doing so you can see what may need to change. One of the simplest ways to discover some of your eating behaviors is by keeping a simple food journal. Keep track of the times you eat, your choices, portions and in addition, note your hunger level and what mood, if any, triggered you to eat. Keep it simple by using a number system (1 being not hungry to 10 being famished) and symbols. (like a happy face to indicate a happy mood, and a sad face to indicate a meal that was triggered by anger or frustration)
6. Maintain a self-care strategy. You're probably taking care of everyone else and if there's any time left, then you take care of yourself. Unfortunately, by that time, you may not have the time, energy or motivation left for your own self-care. Even finding ten minutes to drink a cup of tea, read a magazine, call a friend or take a walk to clear your head may just do the trick. Also Read: 6 Tips To Improve Your Body Image & Your Sex Life
7. Do something new, fun and challenging. Life is more fun when we're learning, growing and challenging ourselves … in a good way. It keeps us engaged in life, and the idea of novelty triggers the release of dopamine (reward hormones) which are released during doing new activities. It can be as simple as trying a new vegetable or … well, I'll leave that up to you.
8. Plan something. It can be a trip, stay-cation, a night out, a night in or an excursion. Just the idea of planning something can be fun, exciting and rewarding. It gives us the opportunity to creatively express ourselves while giving us something exciting to look forward to, which can be satisfying and fulfilling, as well.
9. Grill outside. Food just seems to taste better on the grill! Get the grill cleaned up and ready for your favorite BBQ foods, and experiment with new things to try, including fresh herbs, spices and vegetables you can start to grow in your own garden. The second great thing about grilling is there are less pots and pans to clean. If you have a partner who has grilling talents, grilling gives them a chance to show off their skills while giving you a much needed break from the kitchen.
10. Sleep. When we don't get adequate, restful, restorative sleep, we're chipping away at our energy, health and waistline. Quality sleep is vital in any health plan, so take the time now to create a sleep routine as well as an environment that will help to get you sleeping like a baby.
Implementing just a few of these strategies now will have you enjoying your summer and all it brings. See you at the beach! Also Read: Love Your Body: 35 Ways To Improve Your Health
Written by Debi Silber for YourTango.com.
More From YourTango.com: