FitSugarSource: The Ultimate Guide to Weight Loss: 56 Tips and Tricks to Drop Pounds Now
Losing weight is not easy, and whoever tells you differently is lying. It takes commitment, hard work, and, for many, a complete lifestyle makeover. But armed with these 56 techniques, losing weight suddenly becomes easier. If you're looking for quick fixes or a lose-10-pounds-in-10-days kind of promise, then you've come to the wrong place. But if you want an insider's guide on how to lose weight and keep it off for good, keep reading. From basic weight-loss fundamentals to weird tricks proven to melt away that muffin top, you're only 10 pounds away to your new self.
- Limit Your Calorie Intake: Losing weight boils down to simple math. To lose one pound weekly, burn or cut out 3,500 calories in the course of seven days. That breaks down to 500 calories per day. It's difficult to cut out that many by dieting alone, especially for someone who loves to eat. The most effective approach is this combo: each day, cut out 250 calories from your diet and burn 250 through exercise. Choose to either cut out one 250-calorie item such as a serving of ice cream, or omit a few small things that add up to 250 calories a day. It's also important not to exceed your recommended daily calorie intake. Check out this calorie calculator to figure out how many calories to consume each day, based on your current weight and your weight-loss goal. Don't dip below 1,200 calories to prevent going into starvation mode, which makes your body hold onto the weight.
- Don't Be Distracted: It seems like everyone is attached to cell phones these days. Even if you're using one to stream a workout playlist, stop texting or chatting with a friend when you're at the gym. Giving full attention to a workout keeps you focused and allows you to maximize results. The payoff is the weight-loss results you are bound to see.
- Eat Baskets of Blueberries: Not only are blueberries an antioxidant powerhouse, but also, they've been shown to play a role in reducing belly fat - say goodbye to that muffin top! Blueberries are loaded with anthocyanin, which has been shown to alter the activity of genes found in human fat cells, making it more difficult to put on weight. I bet you can't wait to make one of these healthful blueberry recipes now.
More from FitSugar: An Oft-Ignored Culprit to Weight Gain: Food Allergies
- Exercise in the Morning: Finding time to exercise no matter what time of day is important, but if you need that little extra push when it comes to burning calories, then try exercising in the morning. Studies have found that people who exercise in the morning work out harder than those who exercise at other times in the day.
- Keep a Food Journal: Keeping a tally of all the calories you consume in a day is an effective way to help you stay on track. Studies show that dieters who keep food journals lose more weight. Track your caloric intake on your iPhone with one of these apps, or download our printable food journal if you prefer to use pen and paper. Not only will a food journal keep you on top of your calorie intake, but also, it will keep you accountable for the kinds of food you are eating.
- Drink Water : Aside from keeping you hydrated, regular water consumption, recent studies show, can aid with weight loss. Filling up on water before a meal helps encourage portion control, and simply eating foods that contain a lot of water (like fruits and veggies) will fill you up faster, causing you to eat less. A small study found that drinking cool water can speed up metabolism and discourage cravings for sugary drinks like soda and juice. Now that's a reason to stay hydrated!
- Live an Overall Active Life: Physical activity, be it training for a half marathon or hitting the gym, is important for losing weight, but don't skip moving about in your everyday life. Take the stairs, walk your dog, vacuum vigorously, bike to dinner, and garden. All these things will help burn calories and keep you in an active frame of mind.
More from FitSugar: Ayurvedic Diet Tips That Can Help Everyone
- Get Some Sleep: Life gets hectic, but make sure you're getting enough sleep. Besides strengthening your immune system, proper rest also ensures healthy eating habits. On a daily basis, sleepy people eat more, and since the body functions poorly when sleep-deprived, it ends up storing more fat, i.e. inadequate sleep can lead to an extra three pounds a year! Besides, think about all the workouts you skip when you're too tired to get to the gym.
- Stop With the Scale: It may be tempting to step on a scale whenever you see one, but if it's making you feel bad, then give it a break. Keep in mind that the number is not going to change overnight. Allow yourself weekly weigh-ins, but also factor in that what you see isn't always the most accurate measure of weight-loss efforts. You could be building fat-burning muscle, which could be pushing the number up.
- Always Eat Breakfast: Skipping breakfast is a huge mistake if you want to lose weight. Enjoying a hearty and nutritious meal in the morning can actually jump-start your metabolism and encourage pounds to drop. Choose a breakfast that's high in protein to give you energy and full of fiber to keep you satisfied for hours. Here are some healthful breakfast swaps that ensure your meals are always on point.
Why Persimmons Are Good For Your Waistline
10 Tips For Maintaining Willpower During the Holiday Season
9 Strategies For a Healthy Happy Hour
Follow FitSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of FitSugar on Facebook