By genConnect | JJ Virgin
To hell with consequences: you're going to dive into that gooey piece of caramel praline cheesecake after your three-cheese lasagna and garlic-butter infused baguette. Tomorrow, after all, you're going to diet.
That fast-famine mentality only sets you up for failure. Fast fat loss isn't an all-or-nothing scenario, and good eating habits don't happen at the spur of the moment. That's why your lasagna-and-cheesecake scenario - or whatever your metabolic poison might include - is like Groundhog Day. You keep doing it over and over, and you end up defeated and discouraged every time.
Let's make a pact. I want you to dump the dramatic, abrupt resolution traps and focus on meaningful, lasting changes. Focus your intention on what inspires you to take these action steps.
Say your 2012 resolution involves fast fat loss, more burst training, and doing an elimination diet to identify food sensitivities. You'll want to identify, for instance, the amount of weight you want to lose and how losing that weight will affect you. Are you finally ready to get into that size-4 strapless Armani that turns heads at your next birthday party? How about a killer sex life? You get to decide your goals.
Make a list of simple action steps to support your goal, and gradually build them into your life. Don't try a new one until you've successfully incorporated the previous one.
Be sure to keep a journal. Write your intention in big bold letters at the front. Be very clear about why you're doing this and what it will do for you. Find a picture of the body you aspire to have, paste your face on it, and put it in this book. Record your current action step daily until it becomes truly habitual.
Some of my favorite action steps that significantly impact weight loss include:
- Follow the diet based on your genotype.
- Set your alarm clock an hour before you need to go to bed. That ensures you power down and get your seven to nine hours of quality sleep.
- Carry a Sigg bottle so you drink at least 64 ounces of pure spring water in between meals.
- Gradually increase your fiber intake by incorporating raw nuts and seeds, legumes, berries, apples and non-starchy veggies. If you're not meeting your fiber quota, add a scoop of Medibuilk into your morning smoothie.
- Incorporate my new 4X4™ workout into your schedule three times a week. (Get it free at www.jjsfitclub.com)
- Start the day with a healthy smoothie that includes protein, fiber and healthy fat. Click here for my favorite smoothie recipe.
More from genConnect:
- Stay Hydrated to Avoid Weight Gain, by Paula Simpson
- Mario the Trainer: Healthy Spins on Unhealthy Foods
- Sarah Robb O'Hagan: 'What You Put in Your Body Is Important'
About the Author:
JJ Virgin is the premiere voice of scientific reason in the world of nutrition and wellness. She is one of the nation's foremost celebrity nutrition experts, public speaker and media personality. Her 25 years in the health and fitness industry, the past 10 in holistic nutrition and functional medicine, have earned JJ recognition as the go-to weight loss expert who can unlock the door to life-long weight management through her sensible, no-fail approach to nutrition and fitness.