By Jenny Everett, SELF magazine
This week, the Healthy SELF blog is being written from the beach, as we are taking a much-needed vacation. Like most Americans, we have a hard time letting go of work -- according to a study by the Families and Work Institute, less than half of us take the full vacation time available to us (on average, 12 days per year in the U.S.).
Thing is, health-wise, vacation is as much a necessity as it is a luxury. Here's why we're taking a week to chill, and why you should too:
Bonus: Do you dare? Take the SELF fitness challenge!
Believe it or not, there are scientists whose job it is to study the health of vacationers vs. non-vacationers. According to the chillaxing experts, vacationers:
- Are more satisfied and find more meaning in life
- Are more spiritual and have a lot of support from family and friends
- Have lower blood pressure
- Have lower levels of stress hormones
- Have smaller waists
- Outlive non-vacationers
- Are more satisfied with their marriage
- Suffer fewer mental illnesses -- and are just much happier in general!
And the list goes on.
Related: Eat these superfoods for flat abs
Are you taking time off this summer? Tell us how you take time to relax and recharge your body.
MORE FROM SELF:
Check out SELF's stop cellulite workout
- SELF's annual healthy food awards showcases 66 fast fix foods you'll love to eat!
- Beat the heat with one of these no-cook meals tonight
- Find the best swimsuit for your body type now!
Photo Credit: Condé Nast Digital Studio