Why I Threw Away My Gym MembershipBy: Emily Lyman via Books for Better Living
You can throw away your gym membership.
[Get] rapid results by working out just thirty minutes a day, four times a week.
These are the promises offered by You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark, along with others, such as "ingeniously simple" and "do-anywhere program."
I don't know about you, but I've never had a lot of faith in workout books and programs. Not because they don't work, but because I'm the type of person that flakes out. They either require too much of a time commitment or I get bored - or any other excuse I can think of to justify watching So You Think You Can Dance instead of going to the gym.
Enter this book. I started its 10-week basic program four weeks ago, and I threw out my gym membership yesterday. Well, I let it expire, not to be renewed. The four workout programs in You Are Your Own Gym are made up of exercises that use your body weight - no gym equipment, free weights or gizmos - to build muscle, burn fat and develop balance and stability. I've become a YOYOG believer. Here's why:
More from Books for Better Living: Detox Without Juicing
- The program takes only 30 minutes a day, four days a week. Say goodbye to the gym commute.
- I saw results after the first week.
- I can do it in whatever outfit I want, including barefoot since I don't like wearing shoes in the house.
- No free weights are involved, but the authors offer many ways to make a body weight exercise harder.
- I have everything I need in my apartment. I've had to rig up a few things but nothing unsafe or too difficult.
- Once I'm done I feel the same way I did when I worked out at the gym for over an hour.
- The program only has one day a week of core-specific exercises yet my abs are flatter than they've ever been.
- There's no cardio so I don't upset my downstairs neighbor.
- My knees don't creak anymore, and lunges no longer cause me pain.
- The exercises, number of reps and number of sets change every two weeks so I don't get bored.
- I can easily do the program while traveling.
Quite simply, this book has changed the way I look at exercise. I'm not going to tell you to throw out your gym membership right now, but I do recommend trying this program. Give it a week and see what you think.
For more information, visit marklauren.com.
Related Articles from Books for Better Living
Want Career Success? Be Less Busy and Get More Done
How to Be Happier: Start With Your Brain, Not Your Heart
'American Grown:' In the Garden With Michelle Obama