- Food52 | In The Pantry | Sat, Nov 9, 2013 11:12 AM EST | Comments
French fries get light and fluffy with chickpeas and yogurt.
Let's face it, although we all love french fries, it would be nicer to have a lighter, airier and admittedly sexier update on a normally greasy, heavy treat.
Serves 10 to 12
4 cups water
2 cups chickpea flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
2 cups vegetable oil
Sumac, for dusting
1. Place the water in a pot with the salt and bring to a boil. Add the cumin to...Read More »
- In The Pantry | In The Pantry | Wed, Oct 30, 2013 2:13 PM EDT | Comments
If your kitchen is overflowing with Halloween candy, you'll need a few recipes to use up your leftover loot while satisfying your sweet tooth. This week on "In the Pantry," Aida Mollenkamp shares three of her favorite ways to use leftover candy. Just don't try them all at once!
Melt a bit of leftover chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler. Mollenkamp recommends using dark chocolate to counteract the sweetness of whatever candy you decide to use. Spread the melted chocolate on a rimmed baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper for easy cleanup. While the chocolate is still warm, top it with your favorite Halloween candy. Set the baking sheet aside so the chocolate can cool and harden. Slice it into squares and serve — or save it all for yourself!
SweeTarts Milk Shake...Read More »
With a few simple ingredients, you can have a thick and creamy milk shake with a tangy bite. Mollenkamp recommends blending strawberry ice cream, mi
- Woman S Day | In The Pantry | Tue, Oct 29, 2013 12:41 PM EDT | Comments
By Woman's Day Kitchen
If you can't decide between pumpkin or pecan pie, why not have both? This dessert offers two of autumn's best flavors. Photo by Mark Thomas/Woman's Day
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
Related: Check out the best peanut butter brands.
Total Fat 24g
Saturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 49g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Ingredients...Read More »
• 1 box(es) (37 oz) frozen pumpkin custard pie
• 1 cup(s) pecan halves
• 1/3 cup(s) caramel or butterscotch ice cream topping
• Serve with: whipped cream
Related: Learn about 50 surprising foods under 100 calories.
1. Bake pie as package directs. Spread pecans in a baking pan or a dish and bake or microwave on high, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until fragrant and toasted. Arrange in concentric circles on pie. Spoon caramel to
- Good Housekeeping | In The Pantry | Tue, Oct 29, 2013 10:20 AM EDT | Comments
Two-Bean Harvest Chili
This hearty chili recipe is made for chilly autumn days.
Yields: 4 main-dish servings
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: 25 min
- 2 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 large (10- to 12-ounce) onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounce(s) (2 cups) carrots, finely chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch(es) (6 ounces) collard greens, ribs and tough stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt-free chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1 can(s) (28-ounce) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 can(s) (15 ounces each) no-salt-added beans, preferably black beans and pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
1. In 6-quart saucepot, heat oil on medium. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until golden and tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add collard...Read More »
- Disney Spoonful | In The Pantry | Tue, Oct 29, 2013 1:31 PM EDT | CommentsEveryone loves pumpkin-spice cake, especially with a pumpkin spice-flavored cream cheese frosting! Here's a fun-and-easy way to serve this fall favorite - in mason jars!
It's time to dig in!
3/4 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground clove (optional)
Pumpkin Cream-Cheese Frosting:
1 package (8-ounce) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Prepare cake pans: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9 x 13 inch cake pan with butter or oil.
2. Make the bat...Read More »
Do you wash your chef's knives in the dishwasher?