Lemon Meringue DropsThese melt-in-your-mouth meringues are both crunchy and cloud-light -- and require only five ingredients.
Yields: about 120 cookies
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
Oven Temp: 200
Related: The 50 Best Low-Calorie Snacks
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 4 teaspoon(s) freshly grated lemon peel
Related: 25 Easy, Homemade Holiday Food Gifts
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment.
2. In medium bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form. With mixer running, sprinkle in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and meringue stands in stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted. Gently fold in lemon peel.
3. Spoon meringue into decorating bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip. Pipe meringue into 1 1/2-inch stars, about 1 inch apart, on prepared cookie sheets.
4. Bake meringues until crisp but not brown, 1 hour 30 minutes, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven until dry, 1 hour. Remove meringues from oven. Turn oven temperature back to 200 degrees F. Repeat with remaining meringue.
5. Cool meringues completely. Remove from parchment with wide metal spatula. Store in tightly sealed container at room temperature up to 1 month.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories 5; Total Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 10mg; Total Carbohydrate 2g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Protein 0g
More from Good Housekeeping: