Cashew, almond, coconut-it seems like there's a new type of milk alternative coming out almost every month. Capture all the great health benefits and none of the artificial add-ins by blending up your own with this easy recipe. By Meghann Foye, REDBOOK.
Total time: 7 minutes
3 cups water
1 cup raw almonds
Sugar or sweetener, to taste (optional)
Related: 25 Grill Ideas for the Way Women Really Want to Eat
1. Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
2. Select Variable 1.
3. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
Related: 17 Short and Sweet Shot-Glass Desserts
4. Blend, 2 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
If you want to strain away sediment, place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl. Pour almond milk slowly into sieve and filter through, or stir milk in the sieve with a spatula to encourage it to pass through more rapidly. *Note: Almond milk is high in fiber only if it's not strained.
Related: 10 Smoothies We Can't Stop Sipping
Makes 3 1/2 cups. Each 1-cup serving: 239 cal, 21 g fat (2 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 9 g protein, 9 g carb.
(Recipe can be made in the Vitamix 5200 or any other heavy-duty blender.)
More from REDBOOK:
- 50 Old-Fashioned Cheap Thrills
- 83 Fall Handbags Under $100
- 21 Ways to Burn Fat Faster
- 31 Days of Artisan Ice Cream