By Food & Wine
Cookbook author Tara Duggan uses the whole leek--grilling the bottoms in chunks and braising the sliced tops to use in a warm summer salad. Delicious Summer Salads
Summery Grilled Vegetable SaladGrilled Leeks with Leek-Tomato Salad & Citrus Dressing
2 large leeks, roots trimmed
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
1/2 teaspoon finely grated tangerine or orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh tangerine juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Pinch of crushed red pepper
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
1 cup mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Light a grill. Separate the dark green leek tops from the white and tender green parts. Halve the leek bottoms and run under cold water to remove any grit. Slice the dark green leek tops crosswise 1/2 inch thick, discarding the top inch, and wash well. You should have about 8 cups of the tops.
2. Pat the halved leeks dry. Brush with oil and season with salt. Grill over moderate heat, covered with a bowl, until tender, 18 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the citrus zests with the citrus juices, soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of oil.
4. In a skillet, heat 2 more tablespoons of oil with the crushed red pepper. Add the leek tops and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened, 6 minutes. Add the corn and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add half of the dressing and cook until evaporated. Scrape into a bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in the tomatoes.
5. Arrange the grilled leeks on plates and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Spoon the leek-tomato salad on top and serve warm.
More from Food & Wine
Recipes for Leeks
Ultimate Summer Vegetable Recipes
Terrific Grilled Vegetables
Vegetarian Grilling Recipes
The Best Veggie Burgers
By Food & Wine
What's your favorite DIY gift to receive?