If you would love to follow all the latest fashion trends but cannot justify the expense, you can still look as if you splurged. Instead of replacing the real deal with cheap knock offs, following a few simple rules will keep your wardrobe up to date and stylish.
3 Things to avoid when shopping sale racks
- Skip the prints: While prints are a trendy element of fashion, the less expensive versions draw too much attention to cheaper construction.
- Steer clear of embellishments: For the same reasons loud prints should be avoided, embellishments on clothing can go wrong and pull an entire outfit down. There is also the distinct possibility that the embroidery or decorative buttons will not stay in place for long anyways.
- Pass on pastels: Lighter fabric does not translate as well in cheaper fabrics. If you are looking at cashmere, a pale pink is lovely. If it is a polyester blend, the color does not look quite as nice.
- Stick to solids: Solid pieces in basic shapes will provide a great base for your wardrobe. Look for a well-made pair of solid slacks, a pencil skirt and a simple tops. Darker hues and jewel tones are best for concealing the price of the garment.
- Take it to the tailor: It may sound silly to tailor a trendy piece of clothing, but a simple nip or tuck can transform the piece. Indulging in this practice regularly will stretch the life of your clothing and give it all a designer feel.
- Accessorize with a passion: Instead of buying leopard print pants or an embroidered peasant blouse, use well-placed accessories to create the same trendy look. Use scarves, statement necklaces and hats to give your outfits personality plus. These companion pieces do not have to be top of the line to do their magic.
More by Sylvie Branch:
Accessories Can Make or Break an Outfit, Learn How to Do it Right