- Cosmo Latina | Shine Latina | Mon, Dec 10, 2012 6:09 PM EST | CommentsBy Flor de Maria Rivera
Flor de Maria Rivera
Fashion gossip of the day, chicas: it's time to pull out those old graphic sweaters that have been collecting dust in your closet-yup, it's the latest, cool fashion trend! I recently got a mustard owl sweater and I've been rocking it with just about everything!
1. For a casual day, pair a sweater like this one with jeans and booties. When it's cold out, throw on a coat or your favorite leather jacket. Of course, don't forget to accessorize!
Related: The Best Types of Shapewear and Fajas
2. If you are in the mood to go out for bebidas, this sweater goes great with a sequined skirt-it's the perfect way to balance things out. Just remember this rule of thumb: if you want to show some legs, just make sure you cover up on top and vice versa.
Related: 5 Shoes Every Woman Needs in Her Closet
3. Sexy office chica? Pair it with slacks and a pencil skirt! Just make sure your sweater doesn't say anything inappropriate (we all know we love to express ourselves w...Read More »
- Charleenbellezablog | Shine Latina | Tue, Dec 4, 2012 3:23 PM EST | Comments
Learn how to give your manicure a festive touch with snowflakes and snowmen in this nail art video tutorial.
By Charleen Gonzalez for Shine LatinaI love doing nail art during the holidays, because it's an easy way to get yourself ready for the season. Doing nail art doesn't have to be difficult as long as you have the right tools and patience! I decided to do a little muñeco de nieve (snowman) and some copitos de nieve (snowflakes) to give my manicure a really festive touch. These designs are lighthearted, fun, and are sure to get you noticed. So go ahead and "deck your nails"!
Making a snowman design
The nail polishes I used are from Nails Inc. and are sold at Sephora.
Creating the snowman
Apply a base coat to protect your natural nail; I use Nails Inc. Caviar Base Coat. Then, paint your nails blue (or any other color besides white). I particularly like Nails Inc. in Baker Street. Make sure the color is opaque and evenly painted.
Paint the tip of your nail with a white nail polish like ...Read More »
- Lili's Latin Kitchen | Shine Latina | Thu, Nov 29, 2012 2:37 PM EST | Comments
By Liliana Moyano for Shine Latina
Mi nana was great in the kitchen and had some very unique recipes that the family requests on special occasions to this day. She was famous for her empanadas, bean soup and caspiroleta. Caspiroleta is a dairy based drink she made before bedtime; it was the perfect, warm treat before going to sleep.
As we grew older, her version of caspiroleta became a holiday tradition when she decided to make it more festive by adding rum. The texture and flavor is similar to eggnog but not as sweet, spiced with cinnamon, brown sugar and a dash of flour to help thicken the mixture. Gearing up for the holidays, I got the recipe from my nana to recreate it this season. Enjoy it while chatting up your loved ones. ¡Salud!
Try this recipe with my plantain soup
2 cups milk
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 oz. dark rum
Warm up the milk in a pot set at low heat. Gradually whisk in sugar to the milk. Sepa...Read More »
- Madeinspanglish | Shine Latina | Mon, Dec 10, 2012 9:45 AM EST | Comments
Expert gift wrappers show easy and affordable ways to decorate every holiday present.The holidays are here, and a mountain of unwrapped presents begins to accumulate with no end in sight. Now is the time to get cracking on packaging your goodies! But there's no reason the outside of your gift box can't be as thrilling as the inside. Latina gift wrapping expert Brenda Guerrero, whose celebrity clients include the Kardashians, suggests always surprising with your own decorating style, while keeping your loved one in mind. The finalist of the 16th annual Scotch Brand Most Gifted Wrapper Contest, shares some of her best gift decorating tips for wowing your lucky recipients from start to finish.
Star-style gift wrapping
For gift givers who enjoy going above and beyond with luxurious paper and elegant bows, Guerrero offers some ideas her celeb clients have loved:
• Khloe Kardashian Odom, who loves giving presents to her family and staff during the holiday season, prefers an elegant and mo...Read More »
- Lili's Latin Kitchen | Shine Latina | Wed, Nov 7, 2012 4:05 PM EST | Comments
By Liliana Moyano for Shine Latina
Garbanzo Beans with Chorizo
Growing up, my parents traveled quite often to attend educational seminars around the world. One year they attended a meeting in Madrid, Spain; while the business part of it lasted only one week, my parents decided to extend their stay and tour Europe. After what seemed like an eternity without my parents, they finally arrived back in Colombia filled with amazing culinary experiences and brand new recipes. My dad, the cook, gathered the family to try one of the dishes he enjoyed the most while in Spain. It was a blend of garbanzo beans with chorizo, bathed in a creole sauce with a thick garlic paste- a perfect blend of flavors! Unfortunately, I never bothered to ask my Dad for the recipe.
While vacationing in Spain last Summer, I went to a small tapas restaurant and- surprise!- found the same garbanzos with chorizo on the menu. I ordered it without hesitation, and when I took the first bite, I was that little girl again, living in Colombia o...Read More »