Fairchild Archiveby Gena Kaufman, Glamour
The Oscars are this weekend, and I am very excited to watch even though as per usual, I completely failed on the goal I make every year to see all the nominated films. (Um, I've only seen two, whoops.)
Since it might take me a few years to get around to seeing whatever this year's Best Picture is, I decided to look back at some of the previous winning movies that I've managed to see, like, 60 years later. And to bring it back to our love lives, I've pulled some quotes that are relevant to lots of different situations. You can bust one out this weekend in honor of the awards!
Here are some suggestions of how to use some famous lines from some award-winning flicks:
1) When your boyfriend wants to skip dinner with your parents, because the big game is on tonight and it's very important:
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." (Gone With the Wind, 1939)
2) To the cat you adopted after swearing off men post-nasty breakup:
"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." (Casablanca, 1943)
3) To yourself, in the mirror, before a big date:
"I feel pretty, oh so pretty! I feel pretty, and witty, and gay!" (West Side Story, 1961)
See more: 35 Winter Outfit Ideas
4) To repeat over and over in your head when that really really hot guy from work keeps flirting with you even though you've told him you have a boyfriend:
"I'm a good girl, I am!" (My Fair Lady, 1964)
5) Hitting on a younger guy:
"You need someone older and wiser, telling you what to do." (The Sound of Music, 1965)
6) After breaking up with your no good boyfriend:
"I want you outta here instamatically." (Rocky, 1976)
7) When your guy shows up after a bad day and gives you a pint of ice cream and a foot massage:
"Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you." (Annie Hall, 1977)
See more: 60 Winter Nail Polish Ideas
8) Right before a hot hookup:
"Put your hands on me, Jack." (Titanic, 1997)
Sure, you might have to adjust his name, but it's a lot hotter than "I'll never let go," right? Warning: may cause things to steam up....
9) When your friend is nervous about a blind date:
"My momma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.' " (Forrest Gump, 1994)
Wait, that's not inspiring? Well whatever, blind dates are a crap shoot and that's all I have to say about that.
10) When someone asks you why you're still single:
"No I'm no one's wife, but oh, I love my life and all that jazz." (Chicago, 2002)
Talk to the jazz hand, jerk.
Anything other good movie quotes you like to apply to your love life? Are you excited to watch the Oscars this weekend?
More from Glamour:
15 Hair-Color Makeover Ideas to Try in 2013
10 Beauty Tricks That Make Guys Melt
What Your Party Outfit Says About You (According to Guys)
2013's Most Wearable Fashion Trends