We all have our own quirky list of make-or-break mate requirements: Must love cats! Must not play air guitar! But what about the deeper and more universal needs that are crucial to nearly every woman's happiness? Behold the bottom-line list.
1. His undivided attention at important moments. Not I've-got-basketball-on-TV attention or I'm-mentally-undressing-you attention, but full presence.
2. Compliments that are actually spoken aloud. Things that don't qualify: a pat on the bottom, a finger pistol plus wink, a "yesssss!" after great sex.
3. Good manners, even if you've been dating for years. He had you at "Hello," but what makes him think he can keep you at "S'up?"
4. A thoughtful balance of refreshing honesty and merciful little white lies. A few examples: He should speak the truth when you ask, "Are you hurt by what I said earlier?" But he should fudge when you ask, "Honey, do you mind if my mom comes to dinner?" (Read up on the 15 big fat lies we tell ourselves)
5. His utter lust for (and unwavering devotion to) one or more of your body parts, be it your legs, breasts, hips or behind. Bonus points if his fervor spills over to you and pumps up your body ego.
6. Lots of foreplay. And then some more. Plus...
7. ...sex that involves eye contact, kissing and cuddling. This isn't to suggest that maple syrup, cartwheels and the French maid costume are out, but you should be having plain vanilla love whenever you want it.
8. Acknowledgement of your relationship to his friends, to his family, and, yes, on Facebook. Sylvie, 31, confesses: "I insisted one boyfriend change his online profile from 'single' to 'in a relationship.' An electronic betrayal can hurt as much as a real one."
9. Proud PR. He revels in your achievements, doesn't feel diminished by them, and loves acting as your personal publicist.
10. Use of his "inside voice" during arguments. Grown-ups should be able to bicker--even flat-out fight--without rupturing a vocal cord.Continue reading the rest of what every woman deserves from her guy!
MORE FROM GLAMOUR: