Meet the siblings.
By Chiara Atik for HowAboutWe
People put a lot of weight on "Meeting The Parents," but in some ways, meeting the siblings of someone you're dating is even higher stakes. This is especially true if your significant other is really close to their siblings, or if the brother/sister is of the opposite gender (boyfriends meeting big brothers, girlfriends meeting sisters, etc). But if anyone can win them over, it's you, right? You're charming. It will be fine. (Just read our 10 tips, first.)
1. Siblings are Great PR: Use Them to Your Advantage Remember, the siblings are connected to everyone else in the family -- the parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Get them to like you, and they'll put in a good word with the rest of the family. (Also, remember: they've met all the other significant others!)
3.Do as Your Significant Other Does... "Suss out how they relate to each other (do they tease, are they supportive, distant, etc) and mimic it to a lesser degree" -@emschwend
4. ...But Stay Neutral! "Even if your bf doesn't get along w/ their siblings it still prob matters whether they like you." -@taylorlorenz
5. Be Friendly, and Ask a Lot of Questions This always works, no matter who you're meeting. People love to talk about themselves! Get them talking. 6. Don't Overdo It "Don't be nervous or try too hard to impress them," says Anna Breslaw, of Glamour.com. "If you act outright like you need to win their approval, it'll be super off-putting and totally awkward. Just talk to them like you'd talk to a friend, all idiosyncrasies and interesting things intact. You don't just want to be 'the girlfriend.' Because you're not."
7. Don't Cling to Your Significant Other If you can, try to find time to hang out or chat with the sibling without your significant other right there. It's nice to show you can hang on your own, and are interested in actually making a connection with them!
8. Give Them Space There's nothing quite like the relationship between brothers and sisters. Respect that. Hang back when necessary: let them do their thing. 9. Go Easy on the PDA "I think, while you obviously don't want to be PDAing... you do want to show the siblings/family how much you care about and love him/her. Because in the end all I really want for my brother is for someone to be crazy about him." -@ericals
10. Remember, This Could Be Awesome Is there anything better than getting along like gangbusters with your significant other's siblings? It's going to make a world of difference for your relationship, and everything from holidays to vacations to hanging out on random weekends is going to be so much better if you get along. So make a good impression and genuinely try to get to know them!