Marrying your best friend will ensure a happy long lasting marriage. It's wedding season! And while we'd like them all to last, we are well aware that about half of new marriages fail. So use preventive medicine on your new or not so new marriage, with these tips. Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) Stephen Martin and I wrote a book titled The Everything Guide to A Happy Marriage. Here are some of our best tips.
1. Marry your best friend.
2. Hibernate during the first year of marriage.
3. Agree on joint financial goals, review these regularly.
4. Take each other out on dates.
5. Have a weekly check-in to discuss your issues (all marriages have issues.)
6. Get marital therapy before you hate each other.
7. Have children only when you believe there's a good chance you'll stay together for the next eighteen years to raise them.
8. Divorce only as a last resort.
9. Celebrate your marriage every day!
10. Keep your fights private.
And when you fight, as every couple occasionally does...
Follow these 10 Rules to Fight Fairly:
Rule 1: Keep It Private
Rule 2: Schedule Your Arguments
Rules 3 and 4: Limit the Topic and Stay on Topic
Rule 5: Allow Time-Outs
Rule 6: Offer Solutions with Criticisms
Rule 7: Never Say "You Never" or "You Always"
Rule 8: Set Off-Limit Topics
Rule 9: Don't Save Up Anger
Rule 10: Learn the Art of the Apology
Let your love grow.
Written by Victoria Costello for YourTango.com.
More From YourTango.com: