In the world of online dating, your profile photos aren't everything; they're the only thing. OK, maybe not the only thing, but definitely a very, very important one. As in, way more important than your looks in real life. Yes, that important.
So don't get them wrong. Please take it from me, a seasoned online dater: No matter how attractive you are, the following photo faux pas are apt to get you ignored or, worse, attention from dudes whose own photos are bathroom-mirror selfies. Read on for what not to do, adjust your profile accordingly, and thank me later. Guys hate when you:
1) Include fewer than three photos or more than seven. Yo're either lazy, a catfish, or a lazy catfish. If you are in fact a real person, I'm sure you have literally thousands of photos of yourself, because Facebook. But don't get me wrong: This is not Facebook.
See more: 60 Winter Nail Polish Ideas
2) Include only face shots (as in, no full-body ones). What are you hiding? Do you not have legs? If so, that's totally fine, but I'd like to know before I invite you on a tandem bike ride.
3) Include a no-face shot (as in, an only-body one). I appreciate the gesture, but I'm perfectly capable of objectifying you myself, thank you very much.
4) Look completely different from photo to photo. I'm not interested in the evolution of your look, just what it was five minutes ago-unless that's different from how you'll look this weekend/you're a shape-shifter.
5) Pose with friends who are significantly more than attractive than you. "Hot by association" only works in entire-sorority portraits. In this rather shallow cyberscape, the lens can't convey that you're the Ms. Congeniality of the group.
6) Pose with friends who are significantly less attractive than you. I see what you're trying to do, and there's no way I'm taking out a girl who uses her homely besties as an aesthetic foil. Shame on you.
7) Pose with other people who even remotely resemble you. It turns into a twisted adult version of Where's Waldo, where instead of searching for the real you, I immediately spot the hottest version of you. Say hey to your cousin for me.
8) Pose with another dude. I've known you for three seconds, and I'm already jealous. Oh, that's just your brother? Great, now I'll recognize the guy kicking my ass when this all goes wrong.
See more: 35 Winter Outfit Ideas
9) Include a blatant cleavage shot, especially a selfie. You have boobs. And that you think I couldn't (or didn't already) figure that out is insulting to my manliness and my vision.
10) Make more than three quarters of your photos selfies. Just makes me wonder how long you spent in your room taking shots that didn't make the cut.
11) Include a bathroom-mirror selfie. Unless it's done ironically, in which case, are you free on Thursday?
What are some photo no-nos you see when online dating?
More from Glamour:
15 Hair-Color Makeover Ideas to Try in 2013
10 Beauty Tricks That Make Guys Melt
What Your Party Outfit Says About You (According to Guys)
2013's Most Wearable Fashion Trends