TresSugarSource: 12 Ways to Get a Craigslist Missed Connection
If you spent Valentine's Day on your own or out with girlfriends, you may be scouring your local Craigslist Missed Connections today for a fellow single guy who caught your eye on the romantic holiday. These online personals range from funny to creepy to sweet, but who can resist the thought of finding love in such an unlikely way? Sure, cheesy or awkward Missed Connections can be fun to laugh at, but they can also be a fascinating way to look at modern dating habits. Brooklyn artist Sophie Blackall has even turned Missed Connections into art, becoming an expert on the ads along the way. And numerous studies across the US have been done on these Craigslist ads, deciphering where, how, and why they happen. So if you're hoping to see a Missed Connections with your name on it, check out these tips we've gleaned from the experts on how to make it happen!
- Take Public Transit: Sophie says in New York the best place to find Missed Connection is on the Subway, especially the L train. And according to a San Francisco Missed Connection study, the BART is the best spot for one in the Northern California city. In Chicago, the trains are also a big hub for MC ads.
- Set Yourself Apart: The researchers at the Center For Missed Connections say you should have something distinctive and memorable about yourself, whether that's a scarf, hat, or tattoo.
- Disappear: If you truly want a Missed Connection, you have to subtly make your exit before you're able to exchange information with the stranger you've connected with, says the Center For Missed Connections.
- Ride a Bike: The San Francisco Missed Connection study found that after BART, biking was the second most popular form of transportation mentioned in a MC ad.
More from TresSugar: 3 Books Every Single Girl Should Read
- Smile: In the study on San Francisco Missed Connections, the word "smile" was the most used word after "eyes." So flash your pearly whites!
- Get Out of the House: All the studies agree that you have to be out in a public place to increase your chances of getting a Missed Connections! Some of the hot spots you should check out include coffee shops, bookstores, bars, and museums.
- Make Eye Contact: In the San Francisco study, the word "eyes" appeared the most in the sampling of Missed Connections. And the Center For Missed Connections found that 1/5 of the ads mentioned making eye contact. After all, eyes are the windows to the soul.
- Look Your Best: The most common descriptive words in Missed Connections are "cute" and "hot," but beauty is in the eye of beholder. The key is that if you're out running errands, look your best to increase your chances of a MC ad!
More from TresSugar: 5 Reasons Not to Bash Your Ex on Social Media
- Wear Glasses: One of the most-used descriptive words in the San Francisco study was "glasses." It's an easy way to set yourself apart, and see things more clearly!
- Read a Book: Interestingly, books and magazines were mentioned in more San Francisco Missed Connections than computers. So even if you're using a computer to scope out the MC ads, bring along some paper reading material when you're hitting up a coffee shop or bookstore. And maybe you have the same favorite book in common?
- Do Your Hair: Hair was the top physical attribute mentioned in the San Francisco Missed Connections. So let your hair down when you're out, literally!
- Go Grocery Shopping: Grocery stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are top spots for Missed Connections across the board. So think twice before grabbing your weekly eats in sweat pants!
7 Signs He May Be Lying on His Online Profile
11 Types of Women Men Find Desirable in 2012
5 Entertaining and Romantic Movie Dates
Follow TresSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of TresSugar on Facebook