by Jessica Novak for HowAboutWe
If there's one thing Marilyn Monroe knew well, it was men. From her three marriages and countless affairs, which included multiple Kennedy brothers, a celebrated novelist, and a baseball legend, to her iconic white dress moment, Marilyn was a true legend at winning over the opposite sex.
Even 50 years after her death, she's still making headlines - from Kim Kardashian's recent "Marilyn Moment" to the latest buzz about Mariah Carey playing Marilyn's famous character in a remake of Some Like it Hot. And who could forget Lindsey Lohan's recreation of Marilyn's final photoshoot?
Related: The Worst Pre-Date Text Message Exchange Ever
In a world where thin is in and we have to be reminded that no, he's just not that into you, perhaps there are a few things we can learn from the self-assured, ultra-femme fatale. From dressing for a date to the power of Chanel number 5, here are 15 ways to channel your inner sex symbol and date like Marilyn Monroe.
1. "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Bring your true self to every date. No one is looking for perfection, so give yourself a break, and just come as you are. And if that means wearing a ballerina dress that's two sizes too small, so be it!
2. "I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot!" Don't be afraid to dress up! Put on a great pair of heels for your next date and celebrate the woman you are. Marilyn used to famously cut half an inch off of only one of her heels to give her gait a more feminine wiggle. Try at your own risk.
3. "The body is meant to be seen, not all covered up." Don't forget that you should feel sexy on a date! Too often, we rush straight from work and skip the whole "getting ready" part. Take a few minutes before your next date to freshen up and put on something that makes you look great. You'll be surprised how men will flock to you…
4. "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." Nothing is more attractive on a date than confidence.
Related: 10 Things Women Ask Themselves Before Sex
5. "What do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No. 5, of course." Even Marilyn had a signature scent. Pick a perfume you love, and wear it on dates. Our sense of smell is the fastest trigger of memories and emotion, so every time he smells your perfume, he'll be reminded of you.
6. "To all the girls that think you're fat because you're not a size zero, you're the beautiful one, its society who's ugly." Celebrate your curves! Marilyn wasn't super skinny, and she had no problem getting a date. Be confident in who you are, curves and all - a little extra weight is no excuse not to get out there. This also means that on the date, you shouldn't be afraid to eat! Ditch the salad, and don't shy away from the burger if it's what you want. Marilyn loved red meat (and hot fudge sundaes).
7. "Your clothes should be tight enough to show you're a woman, but loose enough to show you're a lady." When picking your date outfits, make like Marilyn and leave a little something to the imagination. She was never afraid to show off her curves, but she didn't give it all away.
8. "I could never pretend something I didn't feel. I could never make love if I didn't love, and if I loved, I could no more hide the fact than change the color of my eyes." Dating is all about trusting your gut. Stay true to yourself, and don't try to force it. Don't be afraid of love, either.
9. "A girl doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her." Amen, sister! So stop checking your phone, because if he wanted to see you, he'd call. In the meantime… "I said pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together."
10. "Nothing lasts forever, so live it up; drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the bullshit. Take chances and never have regrets because, at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted." Don't regret, and don't overthink. If you approach dating as your true self, like Marilyn did, there shouldn't be anything to regret anyway… right?
11. "I think that sexuality is only attractive when it's natural and spontaneous." Ditch your copy of The Rules, and go with what feels right. Who's counting?
12. "Respect is one of life's greatest treasures. I mean, what does it all add up to if you don't have that?" In other words, never go out with a "great guy" who doesn't respect you. There will be others.
Related: What Is Arranged Marriage Really Like?
13. "Girdles and wire stays should have never been invented. No man wants to hug a padded bird cage." Make sure you dress for comfort on a date so you can focus on getting to know a great guy, and not on your painful shoes or too-tight skirt.
14. "There is just no comparison between having a dinner date with a man and staying home playing canasta with the girls." Yes, time with your friends can be incredible. But if you want to be dating, there are no excuses for not getting out there to meet someone.
15. "Experts on romance say for a happy marriage, there has to be more than a passionate love. For a lasting union, they insist, there must be a genuine liking for each other. Which, in my book, is a good definition for friendship." Marilyn was wise beyond her years. Friendship is one of the most important elements for a deep, lasting relationship.
For more, browse Marilyn Monroe's iconic looks and shop her closet here. All images c/o Authentic Brands Group.
More From HowAboutWe:
The Top 10 Lies Men Tell Women
Your Summer Bucket List: 25 Places You Simply Must Hook Up In
by Jessica Novak for HowAboutWe