The First Things You Should Know on Your First Date
Posted by Alex Johnson for BounceBack.com
First dates. Some people dread them like going to the dentist and others treat them as if this date is going to be the ending of all first dates - because it is going to be such a success. I like to see first dates like the first day of school in a new town. You search for the perfect outfit and you psych yourself up because you want to make a good impression on the classmates and the teachers.
Like the first day of school, your tummy can be a ball of nerves, just like on a first date. The best thing to do is get that outfit that makes you feel confident, know that the person going out with you is lucky to be going on a date with you, and you have done your homework. You are ready to take the test.
Related: The Dating Game
Just like preparing yourself for a test, you need to study. Below are five questions to study and review before heading out there. These questions will help prepare you for the conversation you will have with that lucky person you are going on the date with. This is, of course, if you have the date, time and location all picked out.
1. Home - This is a great opening. Even if this date was a set-up, online, coworker or you met in a social setting. After the introductions are made, simply slide right into the question of where your date is from. How long they have lived in the area, etc. This is a great ice breaker and it renders a response back to ask where you are from.
2. Hobbies - Simple. Once we have covered where you are both from, now is the time to figure out what your date likes to do for fun. Hobbies. Everyone has them and you just hope that your date either enjoys the same activities you do or at least would be willing to give it a try in the future. So go ahead, aks your date what he/she likes to do for fun and before you know it…you both just might be hang gliding, painting pottery or going to some comic convention together!
Related:To Thy Own Self Be True: Be Yourself on a First Date
3. Career - This one can be sensitive…so tread lightly. When asking someone about their job/career make sure you don't judge them for whatever it is that they do. Whether their job is making shapes of animals at a park or managing some major hedge fund. It is their choice - their job - and we are in no position to criticize someone for their choices. Just be polite and act interested. However, you might be pleasantly surprised to learn about a different career that differs than yours.
4. Pets - This is a great one for a few reasons. There are pet people and there are those that don't care to own a pet. If you are a dog, cat or fish person, knowing how someone feels about pets is a nice glimpse into a person's character, or even if there is a slight future. However, I do repeat, how someone views pets shouldn't be judged. It is just a person's preference and we are all entitled to have that opinion.
5. The Favorites - This is a fun one and a great closing section for the first date. Asking your date about their favorite movie, band or cuisine is a fantastic way to offer the opportunity of a second date. For instance, if the date is going well and the vibe is there. Your date will mention they enjoy Thai food and you can casually say, "I know of this fantastic Thai restaurant. We should try it sometime." After that is said, you can gauge how your date responds whether or not they are open to seeing you again. This can also work in reverse by you mentioning a favorite thing of yours and if your date is a great listener, he/she will pick up on the cue.
Related: Finding Magic With Someone New
First dates. Like the first day of school, is a risk either way you look at it. Either you will make new friends in class or you will have a successful first date. Maybe you will have a terrible experience on the playground or your first date will be a disaster. Without ever trying, you will never know your potential future. It is all about the risk, the journey and the experience. Good luck and happy first dating!
Coming Soon! BounceBack's 4 Phase Recovery Program: Developed by a psychologist and customized for you, our 4 Phase Program has everything you need to find happiness after heartbreak.
BounceBack.com helps people find happiness in the right relationship. If you've been through a breakup, divorce, or just haven't been able to find happiness in your love life,BounceBack is a place to tell your story, get community support and advice from experts, and find the confidence and strength you need to move forward. Follow us on Twitter!
More articles on BounceBack.com:
How to Act Around Your Ex
How to Bounce Back After a Break Up
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Anything But the Truth
Is Dating Multiple People at the Same Time Okay?
Alex Johnson is a freelance writer and is currently living in New York City. Follow his blog about love, dating and all in between at: www.updatenyc.net