By Ava Feuer, REDBOOK
A marriage and family therapist, Carin Goldstein has more than ten years of experience helping couples. But, she thinks that Prince William and Kate Middleton will need little assistance in weathering their marriage. Read on for five reasons the future king and queen of England will enjoy a long, happy marriage.
1. William and Kate's union is the result of a nine-year courtship, which began as a friendship when they first met in college. The length of their relationship has allowed for a true, intimate connection between the two, and is a strong contrast to the six-month courtship of William's parents.
2. Several articles have reported that in his early 20's, William already knew that he would not marry before age 28 because he wanted to be absolutely sure of his future spouse, and not fall into the same shoes of his father. This mature perspective has not only allowed him to choose a solid life partner. It will also help him grow with Kate in a collaborative way. A couple with a team-like dynamic is more likely to have a strong future together.
3. Right out of the gates, William's choice to propose to Kate was for all the "right" reasons, unlike as his father, Charles, who felt pressure to wed as the heir to the throne. Given that William does not yet face that responsibility, it is safe to assume that William and Kate's marriage is about the bond between them, and not about William feeling "royal" pressure.
4.William and Kate share similar, unpretentious values -- various reports have noted that the couple does not plan on having the typical royal lifestyle and will be more hands-on with their daily routines -- and charitable streaks. This will definitely act as strong glue for the couple during challenging times.
5. As cliché as it sounds, marriage requires patience. Kate has already shown the world that she is one patient woman. Over the span of nine years, the couple became friends, dated for several years, broke up because William did not want to jump into marriage prematurely, stayed friends, and ultimately rekindled the romance. As the saying goes, good things come to those who wait, and this couple is a "good thing."
More from REDBOOK:
Could You Go a Week Without Yelling?
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- 6 Ways to Tie a Scarf
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.