Source: 5 Reasons Not to Get Your Engagement Ring Online
Although buying your engagement ring online can definitely get you a better price, you might be losing out in other ways. Renee Newman, author of the Diamond Ring Buying Guide and the Diamond Handbook, explains the downsides of buying your ring from an online website.
- Trying It On: You can't try the ring on before you buy it to see if it's flattering and comfortable on you.
- Difficult Evaluation of Craftsmanship: It's difficult to evaluate the craftsmanship of the ring from a photo and often impossible because the photo may just be a generic photo of a ring like what you are buying. If a ring is not well made and the diamonds are not well set, you could have problems losing stones and have an uncomfortable ring that snags your clothes.
- Repair Service: Internet sellers normally don't offer free repair service if there is a problem with your ring, whereas many brick and mortar stores will back up the quality of their craftsmanship and even sometimes replace stones if they fall out.
- Can't View It Under Lighting: You can't view the diamonds and other stones under a variety of lighting and under magnification before you buy them online. Lab documents do not tell you everything you need to know about a diamond. In addition, color and clarity grades can vary significantly from one lab to another. One lab's SI stones may look better than another lab's VS stones. Even when the stones are graded by the same lab, you can't rely solely on a grade to determine its beauty. Lighting can have a significant effect on the color and general appearance of a gemstone. You need to view a diamond in person and under various lighting conditions to fully appreciate it.
- Losing the Experience: The experience of buying wedding and engagement rings online is not as romantic and heartwarming as lovingly trying on rings with your fiancé.
However, don't rule out buying your engagement ring online - there are many benefits such as being able to comparison shop easily, and you really can't beat the selection. The costs are lower if you're buying a ring online as well because e-tailers have fewer overhead costs. Have you considered buying a ring online?