He's clearly something special.By Haley Longman for HowAboutWe
Many people have their first real loves in high school or, ya know, summer camp, but others - myself included - might not get to that point until they're well into their twenties (or later!). But whether you've been in your first relationship for years already or are still waiting to find that special girl or guy, don't necessarily feel the need to "see what else is out there" before settling with your first significant other. They could be the one, guys! Here's why:
1. He/she is clearly something special. There's a reason you chose to take the plunge into a relationship with this person and not any of the other prospective BF/GFs that you've encountered in your lifetime, right? It's because you two just work. And if you don't, might as well stop reading this post riiiiiight now…
2. The grass isn't always greener. You could easily end things with your SO and date around to see what else it out there, but what if what else is out there majorly sucks and none of the prospective dates have that same laugh/style/quirky sense of humor as they do? See where we're going with this one?
3. You don't have exes to compare him/her to. Sure, if you had more experience dating, you might have a better idea of what you do and don't want out of a relationship. But on the other hand, no exes means no baggage, no drama, and a clean slate to bring into this new relationship. You are SO welcome, future husband/wife/domestic partner/whatever.
4. It's cool to experience most of your firsts with one person. First time meeting the parents, first sexual whatever, first fight . You'll have way better stories to tell your grandkids one day when all those pivotal lovey-dovey or not-so-much moments happened with only your one special partner. Awwwww.
5. Numbers don't matter. When it comes down to it, it really doesn't make a difference if you're thinking about marrying your first boyfriend or your hundredth. When you're at an age and a point in your relationship where you feel ready to take the next step, you'll only be thinking about the future and not the number of previous hook ups (or lack thereof) of the past.