Cars and love just seem to go together, don't they?Given the ubiquitous role that cars play in our lives, it's no surprise that we all have a funny, love-related "car confession" or two to share.
In August, YourTango.com and Ford launched our "Love on the Road" survey asking 1000+ people how they spend their time on the road, particularly when spent with a significant other. (Read the fascinating results here.)
One question asked respondents to share with us the memorable experiences they'd had involving a car. The results are a mix of sweet, funny and-in some cases-rather unusual car confessions.
Check out the top 27 tales of love on the road-and be sure to share your own in the comments section below!
1. I was on a date with a really cute guy, driving with the windows down, enjoying the feel of the wind through our hair, when all of a sudden his hair blew off and into the backseat! Yes, he was wearing a hairpiece. I had no idea! What do you do in that situation? I did the worst possible thing and broke into hilarious laughter!
2. A guy who I dated a while ago invited me to go out with him and a few of his friends. He picked me up and we drove "his" car. The parking at the lounge was $20 for valet. I offered to pay, but he insisted that it was "way too expensive." So we ended up parking a few blocks down in a store parking lot. I told him that we could probably get towed and I offered to pay for valet, but he insisted we'd be fine. We got out of the lounge around 2am and came back and the car was towed! The towing company only accepted cash at the time, and to pay by credit he would have to wait until morning. He was so urgent about getting the car out that night, I didn't understand. We had to walk 15 miles to his friends' home so that he could get the cash. Thankfully, his friend drove us to the towing company. Turns out the car belonged to his mother and didn't belong to him!
More From YourTango: Want To Improve Your Relationship? Survey Reveals A Surprising Rx
3. I remember when I drove my now-husband home on our first date and he went in for the kiss... but I had strep throat, so I had to decline! LOL!!!! He knew I had strep but I guess he didn't care!
4. I got a new car and that same day I backed into a light pole at a parking lot... yes I scratched the car!! I didn't tell [my husband] about it and two days later, he did the same thing and was so upset he rushed home to tell me. While he was telling his story my 6-year-old son laughed and said "That's OK, Dad, Mom already did that, but told me I had to keep it a secret." Then he leaned over, put his arms around me and said "See, Mom I didn't tell Dad!"
5. From getting into a fender bender to having the most amazing drive of our lives, my partner and I have experienced it all. I love it the most when it's just the two of us together. A simple drive to the store can be a date if the couple knows how to do it right!
6. One time I accidentally threw a car in reverse and the engine shut down and with it the power steering as I was maneuvering the car in the mountains on a narrow windy road. I freaked out and let go of the wheel. Thankfully, my boyfriend realized what happened and restarted the engine just before we were hitting the next turn. We came really close to driving off the cliff. The scariest experience of my life!
7. The first time my husband took the wheel on vacation in Ireland was terrifying-for me! I was clutching the door and soooo scared as we drove "the wrong way" but my husband was having the time of his life! He is so adventurous and adaptable-he was a natural! Driving there was always an adventure, from the tiny roads to the lack of street signs. And the funny thing is, when we got home, the roads HERE felt backwards! :) Best time in a car I've had yet!
8. The girl with five pairs of handcuffs hanging in her car. I do not need to say any more.
More From YourTango: Dating Disaster: My Convertible Was Not Rain-Proof
9. When my husband and I first started dating we were at a state park and climbed into the backseat of his two-door to make out. A cop came up and asked us to roll down the window, and after looking inside the car all he said was, "This car is way too small for that."
Conversation and compromise
10. We both love going on road trips, we talk about everything thing from lovemaking to what we want to try next, how our days went, where we want to move and live for the rest of our lives. We talk about both his kids & my kids, and all of our grandchildren, the future of all of them being able to come over for dinner, how we can't wait for all our grand kids to meet and stay the night. Rich and I cannot wait till we are settled in our new house in the country with land, even after a year we still are so excited and can't wait for this to be reality. We are looking forward and can't wait for this goal to be completed!
11. I always get the car that the wife likes even though I may not like it.
12. I get to know my wife better after long drives. We share stories from our past. And it brings us closer, because there's no judgment after. And we plan for the coming day or evening together.
13. When i was a teenager, my friend and I were checking out some cute guys and we rear-ended the car in front of us.
14. My ex-boyfriend thought he saw my parents coming down the road, he turned the wheel for no good reason and ran the back of his car into a tree! Happy Valentine's day to us!
15. I was a young, divorced mother who couldn't afford to register my old car, so I used old license plates to drive it. When I got stopped, the officer had to have the car impounded, but he drove me home and asked for my phone number.
16. We like to go off the main roads and discover weird things like a cow in the middle of nowhere or a lighthouse at the end of a long road.
17. We have had some of our best talks in the car.
18. My boyfriend and I, early on in our relationship took a drive to Point Pleasant, WV. It was the most fun we've had together and at one point he turned to me and asked, "Shouldn't we be fighting right about now?" Luckily, drives relax us and make us happy to have and be around one another.
More From YourTango: 101 Ways To Improve Your Relationship Right Now
19. When my boyfriend and I went on our first road trip we played the ABC car game-something neither of us had done since childhood. We laughed so hard and got really competitive! I fell in love with his easygoing nature and ability to have fun then and there!
20. One of the instances where I realized how in love I was with my boyfriend was when he drove my car-he was a patient driver who abided by the rules. He didn't feel the need to speed or drive recklessly to "show off."
Determined and distracted
21. I've rented cars to impress a girl on a date
22. I am a get there ASAP kind of guy, I want to get there and get out, which leads to too many arguments with the wife. I know I need to be a lot less aggressive, but for some reason I have not been successful. After reading this survey, I am going to redouble my efforts!
23. There was this guy who had a crush on me who used to steal my gas cap and hold it hostage for a date. Luckily, they didn't cost that much to replace!
24. One day I accidentally backed into a yellow concrete (cement) wall in a parking lot. The car was black and there was yellow paint all over it. Somehow, I lead my husband to believe that someone had backed into me. I didn't tell him the truth for a long time. I was so embarrassed.
Acts of caring
25. My current boyfriend and I were driving in Ohio during a really big, bad storm. The wind was pushing the car, and it was literally a white-out of rain. All the traffic pulled on the side of the road to wait it out! As time went on, the storm became worse, and soon hail joined the rain and wind pelting his car. I'm absolutely terrified of storms, and so even though I tried to hold it all in, I was whimpering and crying like a baby. Like any good boyfriend, my guy was comforting me. However, what happened next will stay with me forever. The windshield began to crack because of the hail, and my boyfriend (without even thinking) reached into the back seat, pulled out his wheelchair cushion, and propped it up on my side of the car, bracing it against the window. When I asked him what he was doing, he immediately replied, "If the window breaks, I'd rather it break on me." Thankfully the windshield certainly didn't break, and we were able to continue our road trip. However, his selfless act was certainly a highway highlight I'll never forget!
26. My boyfriend drives a truck and I always sit in the middle seat, so I'm close to him. He tells me the truck feels empty when I'm not there...
27. When you are with someone you care about, it doesn't matter that you took the wrong exit and have added an additional 3 hours to your trip... We still laugh about it.
Written by Genevieve Lill for YourTango.com.
More From YourTango.com: