TresSugarSource: How to Celebrate the End of a Relationship
Breakups can be brutal, but if your relationship comes to an end, why not take action and celebrate a new beginning? Rather than belting out angry Alanis Morissette lyrics or crying over old pictures, try choosing fun, proactive (and emotionally healthier) alternatives. From bonding over guilty pleasures with your girlfriends to clinking glasses with the guys, here are 10 great ways to celebrate the end of a relationship.
- Give Your Place a Makeover: New chapter, new space. Dive into your favorite design magazines and deck out your rooms to move onward and upward. If you and your ex lived together, you can finally feel free to turn your space into the patterned Anthropologie haven you always wished it could be.
- See Live Music: Check out a fun concert with your friends to let loose and get back out there. Steer clear of any soul-searching singer-songwriter types or any bands that remind you of your ex. Pick Beyoncé over Bon Iver: think "jump around and dance"-not "sway and brood."
- Lend a Hand: Take the time to step outside of yourself and gain perspective by volunteering. Do a bit of research to find a cause you really care about, then invite friends to join you for extra support. You'll feel great about making a difference - and his loss will be someone else's gain.
- Grab Beers With Your Guy Friends: Without a plus one, you no longer need to keep an arm's length from the other men in your life. Remember all those guy friends you've kept your distance from to avoid any jealousy issues? Call them up and meet for low-key drinks at the neighborhood dive bar.
- Take a Trip With the Girls: Use your vacation days for a much-needed girls' trip. Don't fret if you can't afford a long weekend in Cabo. You don't need to go very far to have that "getaway" feeling, so try a quick road trip instead. Avoid relationship talk by trying a fun group scavenger hunt instead, including things like "Must try a new food" or "Sing at every karaoke bar we pass." (You won't even think about what's-his-face.)
More from TresSugar: 12 Ways to Get a Craigslist Missed Connection
- Face Your Fears: Take a risk and step outside your comfort zone. It doesn't necessarily have to be skydiving, but try something different to remind yourself of the fun, fearless person you are.
- Have a Day of Indulgence: Host a reality TV marathon complete with chocolate, champagne, and your best girlfriends. Watch anything and everything you may have pushed aside during your relationship, from The Bachelor to any of the Real Housewives series. A day of laughing over guilty pleasures can do wonders for your mood.
- Take a Fun Class: Be proactive toward the dream that's been lingering in the back of your mind for a while. Always wanted to be a writer? Go to a local reading and get inspired. Thinking of a career in photography? Sign up for a class with one of your artsy friends.
- Visit Your Bookshelf: Get lost in some great fiction for a mini break from reality. Spend an entire day reading in bed and let yourself lounge around in your coziest PJs, guilt-free. If you're worried that too much alone time will cause your mind to wander down memory lane, invite friends over to start a book club instead.
- Treat Yourself to Something New: Step up your sexy single gal confidence with a new lipstick, or take a shot at the new trend you've been hesitating to try. Feeling good on the outside will filter inside, too, and it's the perfect excuse for a fun shopping day with your girlfriends.
The 5 Stages of Breakup Grief
5 Reasons Not to Bash Your Ex on Social Media
Is Space in a Relationship a Good Thing?
Follow TresSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of TresSugar on Facebook