Jay-Z and Beyoncé. Photo: Getty Images
By Tanni Deb for Cupid's Pulse
From Britney Spears to Nicki Minaj, this year's MTV Video Music Award (VMA) nominees are teeming with A-list music stars. The three top contenders include Katy Perry, with nine nods (the most of any performer this year), and Adele and Kanye West, both with seven nominations each. While it will be exciting to see which stars take home a trophy for their designated categories, we're also eager to see which of our favorite celebrity couples will attend. Although we won't know for sure who will show up to the VMAs until Sunday, Aug. 28, here are five celebrity couples we hope make an appearance:
1. Beyoncé Knowles and Jay-Z: Listed as the "most powerful couple" for TIME magazine's "100 Most Influential People" in 2006, the duo dated for six years before secretly getting married in 2008. OK Magazine reported that "the couple is very supportive of one another - making sure to attend performances and appearances together." That means we can definitely count on them to arrive together, since Beyoncé is up for a nomination, right?
2. Britney Spears and Jason Trawick: Although these two love birds have made many public appearances together, the first time they stepped out as a couple was at the St. Bernard Project Event in May, 2011. Spears' relationship with Trawick seems to be getting serious, but now the question is whether he'll attend the VMAs to support his pop singer lady, or not?
3. Katy Perry and Russell Brand: In May, 2011, comedian Russell Brand visited Japan to see his wife perform, but unfortunately, he was deported due to criminal incidences that happened more than a decade ago. Distraught with the news, the Firework singer tweeted, "So…my husband just got deported from Japan. I am so sad." Don't worry, Katy. Since the VMAs take place in L.A. this year, your hubby should have no problem attending. After all, how could he miss the opportunity when you have the most nominations?
4. Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber: The teen heartthrob and the Wizards of Waverly Place beauty were set up on a date by her mother and his management team at the end of last year. In an interview with Seventeen magazine, the 18-year-old Disney star admitted that she is head over heels for Bieber, and the pair were even seen exchanging 'I Love You's' while shopping in New York City last month. This year, they attended many award shows together, including the Oscars, the ESPY Awards show, and the Billboard Music Awards. Let's just hope they won't miss out on this one.
5. Lady Gaga and Luc Carl: The mother monster credits her boyfriend for helping her become "successful" in the music industry. Last year, she told Rolling Stone, "I've really never loved anyone like I loved him. Or like I love him." Despite break-up rumors, hopefully her supportive boyfriend will be by her side to cheer her on at the VMAs.
Who did we forget? Anyone you'd like to see? Let us know in a comment below. Don't forget to tune into MTV on Sunday, Aug. 28 at 9 p.m. ET. For a complete list of nominations, visit MTV.